The juice on two rivals: BluePrintCleanse vs. Cooler Cleanse

Juice cleanses have reached their tipping point. So widespread as to inspire pop culture jokes, the question around cleanses is not whether to do one, but which one to do. So Well + Good brings you the must-have juice-off scorecard, straight from the fridge of Alexia Brue.

The NYC cleansing scene has three main squeezes: BluePrintCleanse, Cooler Cleanse, and Organic Avenue. In my quest to reacquaint myself with portion control and conquer chocolate chip cookie cravings, I happily subjected myself to the three-day BluePrintCleanse (BPC) and Cooler Cleanse (CC). (Not back to back). I even tried the suggested colonics for good measure.

I stacked BPC against Cooler Cleanse, since they’re the cleanses of choice among the city cleansa-scenti. Organic Avenue’s cleanse starts at five days, making it hard to compare. And there are other aspects like glass bottles, which require deposit and delivery charges that rack up the cost and inconvenience. So we didn’t include that beloved indie brand here.

Here I submit my juice cleanse report card.

Background:

BPC co-founders Zoe Sakoutis and Erica Huss

BPC: Started by two former Hudson Hotel bartenders, Zoe Sakoutis and Erica Huss, who met while pouring cocktails. Their tonic of choice has obviously changed, but they still cater to a fashionista, martini-and-steak crowd looking to offset indulgence with a clean-living catharsis.

CC: Eric Helms started Juice Generation (4 locations in the city) and became Salma Hayaks’s go-to green juice guy. Helms and his celeb benefactor have gone into business together and will take the NYC program national at the end of June.

Packages:
BPC: Three levels of cleanse—beginner, intermediate, and advanced. So if you love cheeses, cocktails and red meat, go for the beginner (RENOVATION) cleanse; if you’re a vegan who’s just been overdoing it on Moby’s desserts, try the advanced (EXCAVATION) cleanse. The more intense cleanses have more greens and less fruit.

CC: The signature 3-day Cooler Cleanse lies somewhere in between BPC’s beginner and intermediate cleanses in terms of intensity. Beet juice and young coconut water are sweet treats and greater variety makes the cleanse pass with fewer cravings. If you want a green-juice heavy experience, you can create a “Custom Cooler” where you select the juices you want.

Logistics & Cost:
BPC: Delivery and pick-up options. Three days of juice are delivered at once. Because they use a hydraulic press, air is pressed out of the juices, giving them a 3-day shelf life. Totes and ice packs are provided so you can easily bring juices to the office. $65 per day for a multi-day cleanse, plus delivery if applicable.

CC: Ditto on all the logistics. $58 per day for a multi-day cleanse, plus delivery if applicable.

Taste test:
BPC: The intermediate (FOUNDATION) cleanse, includes three green drinks, spicy lemonade, pineapple and mint, and a cashew nut milk for a total calorie count of 1250. I flipped for the chewy cashew milk with vanilla and cinnamon, which is as satisfying as a milk shake at the end of a day of cleansing. The green juice, sweetened with apple, is way more delicious than any health-food store green drink, but there’s still a challenging grassy taste. The spicy lemonade is to die for. BPC should sell it all over town, and I seriously missed it post-cleanse.

CC: This cleanse offers more variety. Their standard cleanse includes 2 green juices, a beet and carrot juice, grapefruit and mint, coconut water (2 full coconuts go into each bottle), and an almond nut milk for a total calorie count of 1140. The green juice, which creator Eric Helms says went through 50 iterations and a dozen focus groups, is hands-down the most delicious green juice I’ve ever tasted. A mélange of typical greens like parsley, spinach, and kale, Helms tells me that pear is the secret ingredient that removes any lawn mower taste from this green juice. The almond nut milk, on the other hand, underwhelmed me. It just wasn’t as satisfying and delectable as BPC’s Cashew Nut Milk.

Organic?

Eric Helms, Cooler Cleanse creator along with Salma Hayak

BPC: They claim to be organic whenever possible. BPC publicist Sarah Mains wrote by e-mail, “Sometimes we are completely organic and sometimes we have a hard time getting hundreds of pounds of organic pineapples in the dead of winter. Whenever possible, we buy organic.”

CC: One hundred percent organic, with the exception of the coconut water. Eric Helms told me by phone, “Everything else is certified organic, except the coconuts which come from Thailand and are impossible to certify.”

Handholding:
BPC: Phone support available throughout. I called on the second day to ask about working out and whether it would make me want a burger. The counselor was helpful and supportive. E-mail support and advice comes both prior to and after the cleanse, but I would have liked more cheerleading during the cleanse.

CC: This was my second cleanse, so I didn’t need phone support though it is available. I would have appreciated more e-mail coaching before and during the cleanse. I received two e-mails at the end, giving post-cleanse advice, but there was radio-silence when I most needed advice and a pep talk.

Bottom line:
BPC and CC are very comparable experiences. Both are well-run, customer-friendly companies that have managed to make the laborious task of cleansing (2 pounds of greens goes into one green drink) a snap for New Yorkers. In terms of overall taste, CC’s juices will appeal to a broader spectrum of people. Their deliciously palatable green drink (Essential Green) is nothing short of a triumph. But, I’d do BPC again just for the cashew nut milk and spicy lemonade. If only there were a way to combine the best of both.

1. May 26th, 2010 at 11:19 am

Hi! I’ve actually tried all 3 companies. In fact, I was on day 1 of Cooler Cleanse when I met you at Flywheel!

My issue with BPC was that I HATED their green juice. There was so much apple that it tasted sickenengly sweet to me. I drink green juice every day, and this was nothing like the juices I drink. I was also not a fan of the spicy lemonade, although the cashew milk is beyond fantastic and I still crave it every day. I wish I could buy that on its own.

Next I did Organic Avenue. And they do offer a 3 day cleanse by the way! You can choose 3 or 5 day LoveDeep. What I liked about OA is that one of the juices is actually a soup, so it is thick and much more like eating. Also, each day was different! The main juices stayed the same, but the fruit juice and the soup changed each day for some nice variety. I despire coconut water and they were so nice and willing to swap that out for their AMAZING “Almond Mylk” each day. That is the best almond milk I have ever had.

And most recently, Cooler Cleanse. What I liked about this was that I was able to use the Custom Cooler option for all 3 days — that meant I didn’t have to subject myself to their spicy lemonade or coconut water. I was able to select exactly what I wanted for all 3 days. I LOVED their green juice — more than both other companies. For this reason alone, I will continue with Cooler Cleanse going forward. Their green juice was perfect. I agree with you that their nut milk was lacking. I tried both their almond and brazil nut milks and while they were a good sweet treat to look forward to at the end of the day, they weren’t as delicious as BPC or OA’s nut milks. They also don’t use Agave, which contributes to its lack of sweetness but adds to its health! I absolutely adored the 3 fruit juices I tried — pineapple ginger, watermelon lime and grapefruit mint.

In the end, I have to recommend Cooler Cleanse on what you get for the price.

2. May 27th, 2010 at 9:57 am

I’ve learned a new phrase: “green juice.”

3. June 3rd, 2010 at 11:17 am

I LOVE Blueprint cleanse’s green juice! It’s my absolute fav. Mmmmm I could seriously live off that and their Cashew milk… So good!

4. June 3rd, 2010 at 11:38 am

I tried them both…I like the Cooler Cleanse coconut water, but their green juice and almond milk were gross, like, completely unpalatable.

5. January 9th, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I’m doing a 5 day Cooler Cleanse right now, and did the BPC as my first, a month ago. I think your comparison is spot in. I had wanted to do the BPC again, but missed the cut off window to order, and opted for Cooler instead. I think their green juice is by far better than BPC, but I LOVED the BPC cashew nut milk so much I wanted to do it again, just to savor the yumminess after a food-less day. I think next time I’ll just order their tasting flight and make my own green/other juices in between.

6. January 21st, 2011 at 2:58 pm

i’ve done both 3-day BPC (intermediate) and 3-day CC this month (already), and i’ve Flywheeled every day during without any problem. i prefer BPC, primarily bc i find coconut water revolting, but i also think the BPC green juice tastes better than CC. i wasn’t a fan of the BPC cashew nut milk (too cinnamony), but CC’s brazil nut milk is DELISH (their almond nut milk is too vanilla-y).

7. January 23rd, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I’m trying to decide between the 2 but am curious about the order of the juices on the Cooler Cleanse. Could someone let me know what juice order they recommmend as opposed to BPC? Still green first, nut milk last? Eagerly awaiting a reply!!! Thanks!

8. February 20th, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I LOVE BPC! i have done it many, many times over the past two years. the first time i went with level II but immediately after switched to Level III. And frankly from then on, I’ve been drinking the green juice only..and I’m thrilled they now have the option to buy just green juice packs. I don’t like pineapple juice, too sweet…and I canNOT stand the cashew drink! I know..not the majority opinion! way too sweet for me..in fact before they offered the all green option..i told them i have a nut allergy to avoid having to throw the cashew drink away. BPC has changed my life and habits for the better…and i was a pretty healthy eater before. i think it has greatly improved my allergies and circulation in addition to reducing my desire for any diet splurge in between cleases. highly recommend!

9. March 3rd, 2011 at 12:12 pm

The Blueprint Cleanse has 184 grams of sugar!!! WOW!! That’s NOT a cleanse. I was sooo upset when I ordered it; I want my money back.

10. April 6th, 2011 at 10:52 am

Any of you try Prometheus Springs? It’s like a spicy lemonade that they sell at whole foods. Pomegranite Black Pepper, Lychee Wasabi, and Lemon Ginger… FAR better than the “spicy lemonade” in CC. I haven’t tried BP’s spicy lemonade yet but I can tell you PS is out of this world!

11. April 16th, 2011 at 9:36 pm

To CK above: You should know that 183 grams sugar is not a problem when it comes to raw cleansing. Your body processes raw foods completely differently. You should do your research on cleansing first before you buy one if you are freaked about sugar content because all fruits and vegetables have natural sugars. You can not avoid that when cleansing with anyone. We are not talking Jamba juice here, pleaseee.

12. May 16th, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I’ve tried the BPB twice (3 days each) and the CC once (5 day). The CC has the worst tasting juices I’ve ever had. Will not do this cleanse ever again. BPB is much more palatable.

13. June 23rd, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Actually, sugar is sugar; drinking green juices is a totally different animal than drinking fat and sugar-packed nut milks all day. I am currently doing Cooler Cleanse but can barely bring myself to drink the end-of-the-day cleanse drink which is about 500 calories (I am eating raw cashews during the day to add protein and so forth instead) and chock full of fat. Other than that, really liking the cooler cleanse.

14. July 12th, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I’ve never tried these cleanses from their actual websites because I’m in SoCal, so the prices/availability are a little difficult for me, but Zoe and Erica from BPC actually wrote a book called “The 3-Day Cleanse” that you can get on Amazon (http://amzn.to/oKXsq2), and I LOVE it. Got me interested in more health-related learning, raw foods and food “combining”; and, while already vegetarian, I’m now trying to be more vegan (although I just can’t say no to fish/sushi once in a while!!). AND, the recipes (food, smoothies and juices) are fantastic and easy to make!! From scanning their BPC website, it appears that their commercially-sold green juices vary slightly from the versions in the book , but I love them — makes drinking greens a cake walk. And oh yes, you better believe they include the recipes for the vanilla and chocolate cashew milks — although they didn’t say anything about cinnamon in the recipes, I added that one on my own to make it even more amazing (and appears from your comments that that’s definitely something they put in, in the commercial variety)! They also have fabulous food recipes to help you ease into and out of the cleanses, and rate them by the number of days away from the cleanse, to make it easy for your body to process the ingredients. My faves so far are the marinated kale with tahini dressing, Asian cold soba noodles with spicy almond dressing, the roasted portabella mushroom with rosemary vinaigrette… and the split pea soup is hands-down the best EVER (I added barley to it the second time around I made it, and it was even better!). Tonight I’m trying the steamed veggies with green curry sauce. Best part is: the sauces are all ingredients you toss in a blender/food processor and whir up! And voila — done!

My only complaint is they don’t separate the smoothies from the juices — which I didn’t “get”, at first, and accidentally incorporated those into my cleanses (the idea being that there’s fiber from the whole fruits and veggies in the smoothies, which require digestion, which is kinda what you’re trying to stay away from — the whole point of a cleanse!). Also, I wish they’d thrown in the lemonade recipe. Although Zoe admits in her intro in the book that she’d tried the Master Cleanse a very long time ago (again, pretty much the lemonade cleanse) and that it was too extreme a process and that because of the maple syrup — which is basically a cooked sugar, according to her — she had an outbreak of fungi on her cheek from the sugar in the MC. So, when I recently saw on the BPC site they were INCLUDING a lemonade cleanse, I was pretty surprised. I know it’s not the same as the MC, but can’t figure how how they justified it?

Also, doing a cleanse FINALLY kickstarted my weight-loss… due to a thyroid problem and medication alone not working to drop the weight (and although I’d been working out hard already), the juice cleanse suddenly made me lose several lbs, even AFTER stopping the cleanse.

Lastly (sorry this got so long!), to Tracy above: do the nutmilk at the end of the day, ideally (and preferably, about 3 hours before bed). The fat and protein will help satiate you from feeling completely starved in the middle of the night because it takes longer to break down and will require some digestion. They also say you can have a little first thing in the a.m. when you wake up if you absolutely need SOMETHING. Hope this helps!!

15. July 16th, 2011 at 3:20 am

I like your website and definetely this is welcoming news. Have a few friends in the UK who will appreciate this. :) Yeah, you do bring up an interesting point about cleansing. If I put myself in the “non-early-reader” I would not understand, or care about but is not the case. Who are all these people who instead of taking care of their health prefer not… just love it.

16. July 26th, 2011 at 9:33 am

[...] perfectly.BRING FOOD Healthy drinks for sale (and sampling) will abound: Vita Coco Coconut Water, BluePrintCleanse, Beyond Kombucha, plus Soft Serve Fruit Co. However, you can’t live on juice alone (or can [...]

17. Debbie
    September 21st, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Did any of you guys try o2living juice cleanse. I came across an application on my I-phone for juices. If you try the app store juice cleanse it will come up under o2living or check the o2living site I tried it and it beats any Greens Drink I have tried. They deliver to the city and their motto is “today’s drink today” – I tried all the NYC cleanses and I never tasted anything like their drinks – delicious! I think they are out of Westchester and they also use fresh locals produce.

18. October 11th, 2011 at 6:31 am

[...] comes with shamanic healingCleansing can be hard.Which is why popular juice cleanse companies like BluePrint Cleanse and Cooler Cleanse offer telephone support to those on their juice regimens. (A common question: “Can I still [...]

19. Corey
    January 19th, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Westchester’s Best Cleanse – green vitality beats the city drinks any day!

20. Corey
    January 19th, 2012 at 10:14 pm

O2 living cleanses are the best

21. February 9th, 2012 at 8:11 am

[...] surely get a beating from a juice cleanse, too (some of the more popular cleanses cost more than $50 a day!) Splurge on a healthful dinner out [...]

22. June 11th, 2012 at 6:30 am

[...] 352 Montauk Highway, Wainscott, http://www.barrysbootcamp.com   BLUEPRINT CLEANSE BluePrintCleanse The BluePrintCleanse brings its cold-pressed cleanses and Juice ‘Til Dinner program closer to the summer house with [...]

23. June 20th, 2012 at 3:18 pm

[...] a major point of difference for lots of juice lovers, since all of the other big-brand competitors, Cooler Cleanse, Organic Avenue, and Juice Press, are 100 percent organic (except for Cooler’s coconut [...]

24. August 3rd, 2012 at 12:24 pm

[...] BluePrint put the kibosh on its popular Juice ‘Til Dinner program in order to focus on the expansion of their juice cleanses and individual juices. “We are currently reviewing and revising our food program, and may reintroduce Juice ‘Til Dinner, or a version of it, in the future,” the company told us. [...]

25. February 9th, 2013 at 2:44 pm

[...] Blueprint Cleanse vs. Cooler Cleanse [...]

26. March 3rd, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Have you ever tried o2living red radiance and lemon twist organic juices. I went to see their holistic wellness center in Yellow Monkey Village, New York. It was amazing, yoga studios, small spa,raw food cafe and antique store. It was like going to Vermont for a day and its only one hour out of the city. My girlfriend and I are going for an holistic wellness day on Thursday. I can’t wait to taste their green again. I have tried BPC and Cooler Cleanse. My favorite is o2living. I wish they would come to NYC.

27. June 2nd, 2013 at 10:45 pm

[...] BluePrintCleanseThe BluePrintCleanse brings its cold-pressed juices closer to the summer house with retail locations at the Whole Foods pop-up shop, Golden Pear, and Schmitt’s Produce. [...]

28. June 20th, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Have you guys tried the Joulebody cleanse? I’ve been a long time CC customer and really like the cleanse I just finished with JB – Their cleanses contain real food meals – which was a pleasant change for me – opposed to forcing down only juices for days on end..