An unexpectedly edgy workout based on cheerleading comes to New York City

Philadelphia's Lithe Method comes to NYC

Lauren Boggi wants to give you something to jump up and down about. The founder of the incredibly popular Philly-based fitness method called the Lithe Method is looking for a New York City home. Although there’s a barre in the room—don’t let that fool you. Instead of concentrated low-impact movements a la Lotte Berk, this boutique workout owes its inspiration to cheerleading.

Boggi, a former U.S.C. cheerleader, uses a “cardio-cheer-sculpting” method at her studio. “We do a lot more cardio, aerobic activity than your average barre class,” Boggi explains. “Lots of people come in and expect Pilates and barre, and you are going to get that, but your feet are definitely going to leave the ground.” Resistance bands suspended from the ceiling complete the system.

Lauren Boggi

Lauren Boggi of the Lithe Method

The Lithe Method, which Boggi debuted in 2006, has a super-loyal following in Philly, with four locations and long wait lists for classes. So Boggi, a former New Yorker, decided it was time to branch out. “Lithe works in large, urban, dense markets with youthful women. It’s a perfect match,” she says. “I feel like the brand’s ready for a New York City flagship. I mean, where else would I go?”

As of this week, Boggi was was debating between two spaces, both in Union Square. And she wants to open by the end of the year, hosting the same classes she does in Philly for about 30 people. Manhattan prices will be slightly higher (of course)—most likely around $25 per class.

But with New York City bursting with barre classes, will Lithe be able to gain traction? And will sophisticated New Yorkers picture pom-poms and run in the opposite direction?

Lauren Boggi Lithe Method

The Lithe-sculpted physique: No wonder there are wait lists

Boggi is confident that Lithe’s unique style will attract a following. And, unexpectedly, she sees spinning studios SoulCycle and Flywheel as her biggest competitors. “Even though the workouts are really different, they have the pull factor like we do,” she says. “People that go to barre classes and Physique 57 don’t want to jump around like we do, so I don’t see them as a threat.” —Lisa Elaine Held

For more information about the Lithe Method, visit www.lithemethod.com

1. March 1st, 2011 at 10:56 am

I have heard raves about this from my Philadelphia friends so I can’t wait to review it on my blog!

2. March 1st, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Given how many Philly Lithe devotees there are who have moved to NYC, I expect Lithe NYC will be PACKED. There is truly nothing else like it.

3. March 1st, 2011 at 6:38 pm

So glad you are going to be in New York. My daughter loved your classes in Philadelphia and is so excited you will be in New York soon. She is always complaining that she misses your classes. She did the SoulCycle at your suggestion but didn’t like it as much as your Lithe Method. Hurry Up!

4. March 1st, 2011 at 8:20 pm

My sister’s favorite part is the butt-slap. Now I get to try it too! :) Horray!

5. March 1st, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Thanks, everyone! We’re really looking forward to becoming a part of the NYC fitness community!

6. March 2nd, 2011 at 10:15 am

As a former Philly Lither now living in NYC I could not be happier about this news! It’s true – Lithe is like nothing else out there. And, it’s fun!

7. March 2nd, 2011 at 3:40 pm

[...] good in a crop-top outfit), which is why tons of non-pom pom toting woman are paying top dollar for cheer-based workouts at Philadelphia’s Lithe Method studio. Invented by Lauren Boggi, a former U.S.C. cheerleader, the Lithe Method pairs dance moves, cardio, [...]

8. July 8th, 2011 at 1:45 am

Come to Northern Cali!! We love barre methods out here but we need some good cardio! Plus as long as you work closely with a lululemon you’re going to gain people’s interest…Just Saying!

9. May 18th, 2012 at 1:22 am

[...] After a rotten real-estate search slowed their plans for a NYC flagship, the Lithe Method has finally secured a space for its popular cardio-cheer-sculpting classes in New York. [...]

10. December 4th, 2012 at 1:47 am

Hi Jean,Thank you for your question. I think yoga would be a wdnoerful choice for you. I would encourage you to give it a try. If it does not work for you, I would be happy to work with you on an individual basis to prepare you for a group class. In all of my classes, I give modifications. So please feel free to try any class and work at your own pace.Thank you,Darlene

11. January 3rd, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Whatever happened to lithe coming to NYC?thanks!

12. August 12th, 2014 at 7:18 am

@Deborah: Poor planning made the selected space untenable.