The new drumstick workout that pounds away the calories

Pound the workout with drumsticks

This workout’s motto: “Get ripped while drumming like a rock star!”

I’m one of those people that kicks it into high gear on a spin bike when the music’s really good or can forget that I’m on my eighteenth chaturanga. In short, I like to rock out, at least as much as the next person. Maybe more.

So I was surprised that I hadn’t heard of Pound, a Los Angeles-based workout created by drummer-fitness buffs (and possibly models) Cristina Peerenboom and Kirsten Potenza.

The fitness class will have you swapping your free-weights for weighted drumsticks called Ripstix, and tapping your way to a toner body. Check out the video, below.

What could possibly be the benefits of air drumming and pounding the gym floor with one-pound sticks?

And are they more substantial than headbanging?

According to Peerenboom and Potenza, “striking the ground and simulating drumming allows the participant to hear and see the body working symmetrically in form and exertion. This teaming of sound and motion is absent from all other workouts available today.”

And because you’re moving non-stop, you can burn up to 900 calories during an hour-long class, they say.

We can’t verify that, but the Pound workout, which is coming to Equinox locations in New York this fall—looks to borrow quite a bit from Pilates. If you know the Hundreds or swimming moves, Pound has you do it with the drumsticks. And on the beat, which amps up the cardio component of the core work. That can’t be a piece of cake.

What we really want to know is, would YOU be willing to grab the sticks and drum your way through this workout? Tell us, in the Comments section, below! —Melisse Gelula

For more info about Pound, visit www.poundfit.com

(Video credit: Alexander Rydell on Vimeo)

1. September 14th, 2011 at 5:30 pm

[...] Click here to continue reading (and see a video of Pound) at Well + Good NYC. [...]

2. September 23rd, 2011 at 9:19 am

[...] Is there any hobby that doesn't have a workout trend associated with it? Taking a page out of the Zumba book, L.A.-based fitness class Pound is a sweat-inducing session with weighted drumsticks. Well + Good learns more about this new workout. [...]

3. September 23rd, 2011 at 9:21 am

[...] L.A.-based fitness class Pound is a sweat-inducing session with weighted drumsticks. Well + Good learns more about this new workout. We all do slightly embarrassing things at the gym (did that sound as we replaced the weight rack [...]

4. October 10th, 2011 at 4:18 pm

[...] well + good NYC This entry was posted in Fitness Trends and tagged body barring, cardio drumming, equinox, [...]

5. October 22nd, 2011 at 5:00 pm

[...] Is there any hobby that doesn’t have a workout trend associated with it? Taking a page out of the Zumba book, L.A.-based fitness class Pound is a sweat-inducing session with weighted drumsticks. Well + Good learns more about this new workout. [...]

6. April 4th, 2012 at 5:21 pm

[...] will include two classes on the bikes, a Vinyasa class, and Crunch’s drumstick workout class, POUND.There will also be a “surprise” live performance. We’d like to nominate Lady [...]

7. May 21st, 2012 at 12:26 am

[...] feeling of cardio catharsis usually comes from an elevated heart rate and a purgative sweat. In Pound, Crunch’s boot camp where drumsticks stand in for weights, you can add the percussive release of your RipStix banging the floor. Think anger management meets [...]

8. May 24th, 2012 at 8:59 am

WHY NOT COME IN MONTREAL TO SEE ME AT MY STUDIO :) Montreal is a Musique city!!!

9. January 15th, 2013 at 9:48 am

Can’t come to Montreal, but would love to buy a DVD to use at home. Can’t afford to pay 50.00 a month to go to a class. Where can I find a DVD of the cardiostix with the stix and ball?

10. February 7th, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Would be interested in buying a DVD & the sticks to do a class at home.

11. February 11th, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Would love to purchase dvd and weighted drumsticks. Where is that possible

12. Keishawn
    February 12th, 2013 at 10:46 am

Yes,I would love to purchase a dvd, I seen The pound fitness workout on an episode of the Steve Harvey Show and fell in love with the workout it is something I would commit to doing where ever possible in the comfort of my own home.

13. February 13th, 2013 at 10:08 am

I totally agree with Keishawn!! Thanks Steve Harvey for having them!

14. February 14th, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Yes I would love a set of those drum stick with a DVD to work out with , I saw your work out (brief) on the today show last week and I’m always up for some fun new different work outs, how about A work out to A Live Salsa Band “Wow” that gets you going so do you have one can I but his??? Thanks Theresa Walley

15. July 17th, 2013 at 12:47 am

[...] entrepreneurs have schooled to change any other out, and constructively channel their energies with POUND—a full-body cardio examination permitted during Crunch that combines wild pitter-patter with [...]

16. November 15th, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Where can I buy this video on DVD ?

17. November 15th, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I would love to know how to get a DVD as well and how much.

18. November 15th, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I wish to buy the dvd with the drum sticks, but when I type in Pound workout, it takes me to free receipes! Can anybody out there help me

19. November 17th, 2013 at 11:54 am

Hi everyone, You can click through to the workout’s website, http://www.poundfit.com, for more information on DVDs and where to take classes.

20. December 15th, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Yes please let me know about a DVD for the pound workout

21. May 2nd, 2014 at 1:55 pm

We have been teaching Pound Rock Workout classes at Bodies on Power in Penticton, British Columbia since getting certified in Seattle last October. What a fantastic challenging workout, classes have been full almost every time! Love, Love, Love it! I have been teaching fitness classes for 32 years and have never had so much FUN!