Would you smoke your herbal tea?

smoking

Sure, you can steep and sip your tea for its health benefits. Or, you can go the route of some New Yorkers, and roll it up and smoke it.

That’s what Liz Neves suggests. She’s the Brooklyn-based creator of Vivid Visions, an herbal tea blend that’s meant to be smoked, not sipped. And it’s flying off the Etsy shelves.

Since Vivid Visions was featured on FoodCurated.com two weeks ago, she’s been unable to keep up with the demand, selling out of batches of 150 within hours.

So why are people so excited to toke their tea?

“There’s something taboo about smoking things, and people are drawn to that,” says Neves. “It feels like you’re getting away with something.” And given that wholesome Brooklyn foodies were the first to discover her, even healthy types like that.

Liz Neves

Liz Neves makes non-toxic beauty and cleaning products; but her smokable tea blend is her best-selling product

But there’s also the effect of smoking tea that a cuppa can’t give ya (because the smoke enters your bloodstream much faster, while sipped tea has to make its way through your digestive system).

What is it? Well, as its name implies, Vivid Visions has some properties that are a little trippier than, say, your Celestial Seasons Tension Tamer.

“The main benefit is a shift in your perception. It’s really subtle, but you just see things a little differently,” explains Neves. Don’t worry, the herbal ingredients aren’t going to get you arrested (at least in New York): Damiana is an antidepressant, lavender is a relaxant, and mugwort tends to induce vibrant dreams.

So you get the chilled-out, happy head rush without any of the chemicals and fillers found in tobacco products.

While we’re on board with herbal tea, we can’t help but question if its benefits are really counteracted by smoking it.

Neves says she’s not suggesting you keep a pack in your back pocket. It’s more like a having an occasional hot toddy.

“Smoking anything long-term isn’t great for your health,” she admits. “It’s a fun product, but I don’t want to get people hooked on smoking!”  —Lisa Elaine Held

1. March 22nd, 2012 at 11:48 am

This is actually kind of funny because one time I smoked tea “by mistake.” I was told it was … something else, but it turns out that I ended up smoking Peach Tea. Go figure.

2. March 26th, 2012 at 11:45 am

I love Vivid Visions (VV)! Full disclosure: Liz is a good friends of mine, so I’ve been lucky enough to have access to the stuff for a while. I’m a pretty loose person, so tension is not an issue for me, but I love that I always have really vivid, fun dreams when I’ve smoked it before bed. I don’t smoke anything regularly, but VV is an awesome treat. I’ve also had VV as a tea, and it is really quite lovely and effective that way too.

3. March 26th, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I recently tried vivid visions and loved it. To sum up, I couldn’t stop smiling, or noticing all the pretty colors in the world around me. Overall, I was much more relaxed. All this while still being completely competent to go about my daily life.

I am not really a drinker and definitely not a smoker, so it is nice to have something like this to occasionally reward myself with at the end of a long, hard day. I definately fall into that “health conscious” category–heck, i don’t even drink coffee (my love of tea is what led me to Liz)–but this is as natural as can be.

Thanks, Raganella!

4. March 28th, 2012 at 4:19 am

This is so interesting. As the founder of the best skin care clinic in Mumbai, I often advise Green Tea especially the Chinese ones to my patients for glowing skin and all the other positive effects – flavonoids, anti aging blah blah…Curiously I have had a couple of people ask me whether it is ok to smoke the tea leaves which I have dismissed as outrageous. But now I am curious to know if Vivid Visions is the same green tea that is sold everywhere or are there added elements in it? Thanks for the information though.

5. March 29th, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I have a hard time relaxing, tea unfortunately just doesn’t do it. Maybe I’m drinking the wrong blends, but there you have it. I just searched the Etsy site and couldn’t find it….how can I get some in Canada?

6. April 2nd, 2012 at 8:58 pm

@Rebecca – I’ll have some more available by the end of this week (and we ship to Canada!). You can sign up for my newsletter to find out exactly when it’ll be available: raganella.com/blog (top right corner). Thanks for your interest!

@Dr. Sunita Banerji – there isn’t any green tea in the smoke blend. It contains Mullein, Coltsfoot, Damiana, Mugwort, and Lavender. I don’t know about smoking green tea, but I do know it would have an entirely different effect (possibly stimulating). Thanks for adding to the conversation!

7. May 14th, 2012 at 11:51 am

I’m curious as to whether this is shipped in Eastern Europe, and if so, how? Thanks and have a nice day!

8. July 29th, 2012 at 7:35 am

How can we order your smokable tea outside of New York? I would like to order some. I live in Indiana. Thank you

9. December 26th, 2012 at 12:52 am

I do not create many responses, however i did some searching and wound up here Would you smoke
    your herbal tea? | Well+Good NYC. And I do have a couple of questions for you if it’s allright. Is it simply me or does it seem like some of these responses come across as if they are left by brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing at other online sites, I’d like
    to follow everything fresh you have to post. Could you make a list of the complete urls of
    all your shared pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

10. May 9th, 2014 at 9:10 am

I am a parent of two teenagers, doing everything possible to keep them safe and teaching them to be high on life instead of relying on substances to “relax” and “enhance” their day, no matter how “innocent” it may seem. I am appalled that you would even suggest smoking tea and using the name “wellandgood” as justification that your site is legit. Knowing how easy it is for impressionable teens to access your site and how easily they may be swayed by the legitimate appearance of your site, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are giving teens a bad example and justifying “creative” and “legal” ways for kids to get high, and even worse, there is no mention of any potential risks.

11. June 12th, 2014 at 10:30 pm

If China has been smoking Tea for hundreds of years..it must be good!.. How many ill Chinese people do you see!.. Hardly any….A vast majority live until a ripe old age..
    It is grossly unfair to criticize smoking yea, herbals etc without first doing some research from credible sources. We walk around the streets of cities breathing in toxins from cars, buses etc.. Factories, pollutants in the rivers and sea… Yet smoking tea is so bad!! .it makes me laugh when people fail to see these vast comparisons yet stigmatise others. I personally do not know of any credible researchers / scientists saying tea is bad to smoke because of x, y and z!!..and until such time i will continue to have an open mind to its pro’s and con’s… But the Chinese are doing ok… So on the basis of probability… Its fine.. Yep.. I’ll go with that theology for now.. Educated risk. :) now…wheres my tea!!

12. June 12th, 2014 at 10:34 pm

How Ironic…I’m sitting here Drinking Coffee and Smoking Tea…

13. September 14th, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I need to find out how to purchase this for medical use? Please someone help me!