Best frizz fixer: This easy coconut oil hair treatment

coconut oil hair treatment

Hot summer rays can wreak havoc on hair (as can a lot of shampoos and dyes). A simple solution? Coconut oil, the hardest working $12 condiment in your kitchen, makes an amazing leave-in hair-conditioning treatment, says natural makeup artist, Kat Feldhouse.

Coconut oil hydrates really parched beach hair—and is great for women with really fried ombre-dyed ends, says the beauty savant. (She likes Whole Foods 356 brand, but any organic coconut oil will do.) “Water-based conditioners just can’t compare. Pure coconut oil gives your hair great shine, moisture, and texture thanks to its rich fatty acids and proteins,” explains Feldhouse.

And great news: No blow-dryer, shower cap, or sleeping with a towel under your head is needed to help it penetrate. This is a hair treatment you can wear out—around the city, to the beach, or to brunch.

Here’s how to use coconut oil as a leave-in hair treatment:

1. Scoop half a teaspoon of coconut oil, and really heat it up in your palms. Then grab sections of your hair, and drag the coconut oil through evenly. “A little goes a long way,” says Feldhouse. (You don’t need to apply it to your scalp unless you’re dealing with dandruff or a sunburn or your hair really needs the added nourishment.)

2. Then go over your hair with a wide-toothed comb.

3. Wrap it a top knot, a cute bun, or a tight fish-tail braid, and let the heat of the summer city streets or the beach just bake it in. The longer you leave it in, the better.

natural makeup artist Kat Feldhouse

Natural makeup artist Kat Feldhouse protects her coconut-oil-treated hair at the beach with a big sun hat.

Feldhouse leaves her coconut-oil-coated locks in a pretty ballerina bun all day, and changes it up at night.

“Just before going out, I’ll undo the knot, and give my hair shake. I love that I smell like the beach, and my hair has that naturally touseled beach-wave look,” says Feldhouse. Only with none of the sun-and-salt-water damage.

It shampoos out pretty easily with a good cleansing shampoo—something astringent with tea tree should do the trick, she says. “Don’t reach for one with stripping sodium lauryl sulfate. That defeats the whole purpose!”  —Melisse Gelula

Have you used coconut oil for beauty purposes? Would you use it for this one? Tell us in the Comments, below!

1. July 5th, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I make a superfood raw organic chocolate with coconut oil. When I first started, i would get the oil all over my hands and have to wash alot. Then I discovered it’s great on my cuticles!!! So now every morning and night I put a little coconut oil with my fave Essence of Vali or Zents scent and I am set to go!Really hydrates cuticles, heals and works great as a swipe across my lips pre-gloss! Enjoy, Holli

2. July 6th, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Coconut oil is a great make up remover. I take half a teaspoon, rub it on my face, and remove with a dry cloth. The best thing is that I don’t need to moisturise afterwards.

3. July 8th, 2012 at 8:00 am

it made my hair greasy .. too bad. i was excited to use it . my hair is super fine .. maybe that’s why .

4. July 19th, 2012 at 6:06 am

For me, coconut oil is the only oil I need.
    From acne to hair. It has taken place of other products. For my dog too!

Ingrid, try to use it as an oil treatment. My hair is also fine. If I use it as a leave in, at times it seems oily. Guess it depends on the humidity levels.

Great article,
    Kate

5. July 19th, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I use it as a body moisturizer, your body will glisten and keep you hydrated and smell like a fresh coconut!

Enjoy

6. July 20th, 2012 at 7:45 am

I’ve taken to doing this 2-3 times a week, my hair is super dry because it’s curly and colored and this is great. I definitely put too much in the first time and it made my hair greasy, but I braided it and no one new the wiser. My hair feels so much better afterward too and it’s definitely cheaper than going for a keratin treatment.

7. July 20th, 2012 at 9:51 am

Wow, love all these uses.

And Jessica, you make a really good point. It’s so much cheaper AND safer than keratin!

8. July 24th, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Totally going to try this out. I already use it as a body moisturizer sometimes, and was wondering what would happen when I applied to hair. Thanks for the post!

9. August 8th, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I’ve been using Organic Coconut Oil as a leave in conditioner and hair gel for about 2 months now and love it. I’ve also started making a hair shampoo that uses coconut milk. It is working better than anything else I’ve tried and it’s cheap and healthy. For leave-in conditioner, I just put some on my fingers and run my fingers through my hair at night before I go to bed. I tend to have a flaky scalp, so I also rub it on my scalp. While it is a bit oily when I first put it on, it is usually dry by morning. I shower in the morning and then first thing, while my hair is still wet, I put a VERY small amount on my fingers and run it through my hair. I have medium curls and this has been the best thing for my curls. Of course, heat from the summer sun makes it even better.

10. August 8th, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I forgot to mention that my sister has very straight hair. She has been using coconut oil as a hair moisturizer for at least a couple of years. The key for those with straight hair is to use a very, very small amount and to put it in while your hair is still wet.

11. August 8th, 2012 at 4:13 pm

My last comment didn’t post. Here’s the gist of what I said: I have been using organic coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner and hair gel for a couple of months now and love it. I also have been making a shampoo out of coconut milk. It’s been the best thing for my hair. For leave-in conditioner, I put it on my scalp (since I tend to have dandruff problems) and put it on my fingers and run my fingers through my hair (I have medium curly hair, so don’t own a brush/comb) – at night before I go to bed. It’s usually rather oily when I first put it in, but by morning it’s pretty dry. I shower in the morning and immediately, while my hair is still wet, put a VERY small amount on my fingers and run it over my hair in the areas where I tend to have fly-aways. Of course, the summer sun makes it work even better. It’s been the best thing I’ve tried for my curls.

12. September 20th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Hi Nina, how do make a shampoo out of coconut milk? I have. I have been looking for an all natural shampoo, but they are hard to find :(
    Thanks!

13. September 22nd, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Anyone heard of Memory Oil? This virgin coconut oil is fantastic and is only $10 a 14 oz. bottle! I put it in almost all my meals, and have also heard it is a lot healthier than virgin olive oil, and is cheaper. So overall, you’re saving money, and weight! Check out Memory Oils site if you’re interested, click this link! http://memoryoils.com/shop/D26C23E49C~Memory+Oil.htm

14. October 11th, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I use a natural shampoo rich in Argan oil by Geilly Green and then only use the shampoo once every 3 washes, on the other times i use conditioner instead of shampoo so my hair is never stripped, my hair is super long, thick and healthy and getting more so by the day. I use an argan oil serum as leave in conditioner but will certainly try coconut as can get frizzy hair especially if I am teaching yoga in a hot room :-)

15. October 18th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Has anyone tried using coconut oil for hair loss?

16. November 5th, 2012 at 9:37 am

The hair stylist gave my girl that Argan oil but it smells terrible to me (partly from effects of a past cancer treatment)but I suspect she has a sensitivity to fragrances due to throat problems. I used olive oil on her hair this morning, then I realized I just bought some coconut oil for shaving, so I looked this up for her hair too! BEAUTIFUL!! I am her new hair stylist. BAHAHAHAHA!!! Can’t stand that Argan oil. BLECH!!

17. January 29th, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Wow!! It really works I tried it one time and my hair is sooooo smooth. I can’t even see so many split ends:)!!

18. February 3rd, 2013 at 10:49 am

I use coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner, make-up remover and skin moisturizer. It’s absolutely wonderful!

19. September 16th, 2013 at 8:35 pm

There are effective, natural ways on taming your frizzy hair. Actually, most of the home remedies for frizzy hair can be found in your kitchen. This includes egg with extra virgin olive oil, alcohol, fruit paste, apple cider vinegar and lemon and honey. Found the information from this article: http://www.ihomeremedy.net/6-home-remedies-for-frizzy-hair-that-really-works/

20. October 31st, 2013 at 2:07 am

My hair is extremely dry and curly frizzy. I stpped relaxing my hair after my hair became managable after using pure coconut oil. I heat it in my hands and then put it all over my hair. My hair has never felt this good or look this decent. It does not even look as curly as I remember.

21. April 13th, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Hello there!

I use organic shampoo for my dry and frizzy hair. I believe that hair becomes dry when it does not have enough moisture. Now my hair strong and healthy. Thanks to organic shampoo :)

22. April 24th, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I have very curly, frizzy hair, and it has been a challenge for me to find products that reduce frizz while not making my hair feel “crunchy.” My hair dresser started using the Shielo Restoration Oil in my hair after I dry it – and the result is very smooth curls. I really like the Shielo Oil and it smells delicious. I would recommend for anyone with dry or curly hair.

23. June 28th, 2014 at 2:55 am

Change over to sulfate free shampoos and look up the Pro Natural’s hair care system and get everything you can from them. Especially the argan oil for after a shower, that’s a heat protectant that doubles as a deep conditioner so it makes hair really strong and healthy. Plus it makes it soft and gets rid of frizz.

24. June 30th, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Hello there! As we all know, hair and skin is a reflection of your lifestyle, so eat enough fruits and vegetables and drink enough water a day to keep both looking good. For home remedies, use a hair mask once a week with olive oil or banana or avocado. Even eggs or mayo make good hair masks. You leave them on for 1hr and then wash your hair normally. The best oil for hair is argan oil because it has more benefits than olive and coconut oil combined and it’s not greasy at all. Look online for this brand called Pro Natural’s which has all these argan oil products like shampoos, conditioners, hair masks and the oil which doubles as a heat protectant. They’re awesome for preventing split ends and making hair smooth, soft and silky.

25. July 6th, 2014 at 9:23 am

I have dry poofy hair all summer. Not this year, I have been using coconut oil and my hair is shiny, manageable, and so gorgeous! The night before shampooing, I treat my hair all over (except the scalp…to greasy)I leave it in over night, rinse, shampoo and condition. Towel dry then use the coconut oil on a fine tooth comb. Let dry naturally and my hair beautiful for days. No FRIZZ, a miracle from my kitchen. Wasted so much money on shampoos, conditioners and serums. Coconut oil….it’s the answer!

26. December 16th, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Saw the commercials for the Shielo Hair line, but was pretty skeptical. Decided to try the leave-in protectant – because since i grew my hair really long, I got the WORST SPLIT ENDS. Well – thank GOD I tried the shielo leave in protectant because even with my super long hair – I barely have any split ends!! You will see fewer split/broken ends. Not sure if the repair is really permanent or just improves appearance. Definitely worth the price as you only use a small amount each time.