The People’s Bootcamp: A new pay-what-you-can workout

The People's Bootcamp

This summer, a new boot camp set up shop in Central Park and in Montauk, hosting high-intensity classes that cost…whatever you want.

The People’s Bootcamp is the brainchild (and brawn child?) of Adam Rosante, a TV network executive and private trainer who surveyed the New York fitness scene and decided that “not everyone can afford to pay $50 for a boot camp class or afford a private session.”

What you do for a living shouldn’t affect your workout or ability to get in shape, he thought. “It’s not just rhetoric. I really believe that fitness is for everyone,” says Rosante.

He’s like the city’s very own fitness Che—except he’s a Hamptons native, wears white pants, and has really nice hair.

Adam Rosante

Adam Rosante: “In this class, your job doesn’t matter. Nobody’s looking at the label on your gear. Everybody is just staring at the ground trying to get through.”

All drop-in classes are “pay what you can,” meaning you can work out for free or leave a stack of twenties, and a four-week workout challenge also kicks off this week, which costs just $160 ($10 per class).

Rosante has hired a group of trainers, but he teaches many of the classes himself, which are based on a sequence of high-intensity intervals. He’s crazy about correct form, and at times, you may feel like collapsing. But his warm, encouraging self won’t let you.

Evidence: “Grab at it! You got it! Oh my god, you guys are going to be so hot!”

His optimism almost makes you feel like you are part of a revolution, even if the only thing being overthrown is the reign of your love handles.

And what do people pay when faced with an open-ended cost structure? Rosante says that while there’s a range, they tend to shell out more than you’d think, and he’s been able to turn a profit from the get-go.

“If you give people the opportunity to be awesome,” says Rosante, “they will be.” —Lisa Elaine Held

For more information or to sign up for the 4-week challenge, visit www.thepeoplesbootcamp.com

1. September 19th, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I did a couple of Adam’s bootcamps over the summer and they were awesome! I signed up for the Fall 4 week challenge
    and it is totally kicking my butt..into SHAPE!!!
    It’s an intense workout, but I feel AWESOME!!

2. September 20th, 2012 at 10:44 am

Ahhh!!! Was selfishly hoping they wouldn’t get written up. This has been my fitness secret all summer. I suppose I’m happy for them. :)

3. September 20th, 2012 at 10:57 am

I love starting my day with one of Adam’s workouts! They’re challenging, but Adam is inspirational and motivating and by the end of the class, I feel like I can take on anything the day throws my way!

4. September 20th, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I went and took this class recently, and I gotta say it was freaking AWESOME!! It really pushed me. I’ve done bootcamp classes before and i’ve never been pushed as hard as I was in this class! Beautiful weather, awesome people, and getting my abs rock solid…. it really doesn’t get any better than that! :)

5. September 20th, 2012 at 5:11 pm

In one word: AWESOME! I’ve been working out in a gym since college. I’ve taken many a fitness class and done many a bootcamp both indoors and outdoors and as soon as I took my first class with Adam, I was sold. This bootcamp class will seriously kick your *ss into shape. Adam is an incredibly positive and motivating instructor…and that’s the half of it that most of us need, come on, admit it! Great instructors have great classes. I’ll be at as many bootcamps as I can squeeze into the week.

6. September 21st, 2012 at 8:50 am

I’m certainly not the most coordinated person, but in Adam’s class I don’t feel like a wonky fool. With all my awkward ways to get through the ups, downs and kicks- Adam makes it fun and guides in a way to encourage and not embarrass. I will admit at first, I was a bit intimidated by “bootcamp” sessions, but now I am devoted groupie. No better way to firm up and sweat it all out…