9 foods for amazing skin

1 / 12
SkinWe may not be able to change our DNA or completely alleviate blemish-inducing stress, but we all can eat foods that contribute to amazing skin, says Kimberly Snyder, celebrity nutritionist and author of the best-selling The Beauty Detox Solution. Snyder shares with us nine foods—from cucumbers to kale and sauerkraut (surprise!)—that can seriously impact the look and health of your skin. —Sharon Feiereisen

CucumberCucumber: Cucumber is a virtually a cure-all full of hydrating enzyme-filled water, and hydration is key for youthful, smooth skin. It also contains vitamins B and C, zinc, iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium and potassium. And it has anti-inflammatory properties, which is why you put the chilled slices over your eyes for a DIY spa treatment!

SeaweedSeaweed: Seaweed is rich in B vitamins and minerals such as iron, which helps with healthy blood flow to contribute to radiant skin. It is also naturally low in (bloating) sodium, but high in iodine, to help your thyroid and metabolism function at its peak. Order a seaweed salad when you go for sushi or add spirulina to your smoothies or diet.

Another way to maintain your amazing skin: W3LL PEOPLE makes chemical-free, premium quality makeup designed for modern, natural beauties. The 100% natural cosmetics are pure as a saint, but sexy as sin, formulated with artistry, technology, and social responsibility to create seriously glowing results. Start shopping today.

KaleKale: The sexy, good-for-you green is an excellent source of the beauty vitamins A, C, and E, which have potent anti-aging properties and help promote healthy new cell growth. Kale is also loaded with minerals, such as magnesium and calcium that healthy skin needs. Make a green juice or massage a kale salad stat.

PapayaPapaya: Papaya’s gorgeous reddish color is due to its high content of beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A in the body, and acts like a mechanic of on-going skin repair. The enzyme papain is used in all kinds of exfoliating facial masks, but when you eat it, it contributes its cleansing properties to your digestion and promotes both bright skin and eyes.

SauerkrautRaw sauerkraut and other probiotic-rich foods: Probiotics are one of the biggest beauty secrets for clear, radiant skin. They encourage the growth of friendly gut flora that helps keep your digestion in check, so there's better nutrient delivery to the skin and entire body. And they help make B vitamins, critical for energy and beauty overall. How to eat more? Add a scoop of sauerkraut to a rice or quinoa bowl with steamed veggies for a zing.

PumpkinSeedsPumpkin seeds: A handful of these are like taking your B vitamins and biotin, an essential nutrient for strengthening hair, nails, and skin. Pumpkin seeds are also high in minerals, such as zinc, which in deficiency can lead to issues such as acne. Sprinkle them over anything from yogurt and salads to rice bowls and fish.

ChiaSeedsChia seeds: They're an unbelievable source of essential fatty acids that nourish the skin and scalp. Chia seeds also contain skin-saving antioxidants (in the ballpark of blueberries) that fight free-radical damage. Be sure to soak them first before eating, or add them to a pudding or smoothie.

Cabbage
Cabbage: The humble cabbage is actually a wonderful beauty food. It's high in fiber and contains the compound sulforaphane, which promotes anti-aging antioxidant activity in the body. It's also high in vitamin C. How to eat more? Add sliced purple cabbage to your salads.

LemonLemon: I recommend starting each day with hot water with lemon. It gives you a boost of vitamin C, and this simple drink starts you off in the day hydrated. Lemon’s enzymes have also been shown to help rejuvenate liver tissue and help support skin collagen.

1. November 6th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Great Article! Here is another blog that shows some food that will prevent aging and help you live longer.

2. November 14th, 2012 at 1:17 pm

As someone who is always trying to improve my skin health, this post was a great find! I love pumpkin seeds so adding more of those into my diet will be no problem! I also try to include the foods like kale and cucumber into my juicing recipes and use lemon not only internally, but I apply it as a toner at night. Great for fading acne scars and dark spots!

3. January 26th, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I think it’s only vegan food can help people to take care of their skin. Best vegan recipes I found here http://www.healthfoodmagazine.com/food-recipes/vegetarian-recipes – I rly like vegan food, and I think it’s helping to my skin to stay amazing like I’m 18 yo :)

4. March 4th, 2013 at 11:32 am

This is important advice. There is more to healthy skin than just applying moisturizer or anti-aging creams. Healthy skin can really be developed from the inside out.

5. July 15th, 2013 at 11:05 pm

This is all so true – i have experienced the results of what super food can do for the health of your skin, first hand.
    I also learned the hard way that gluten was the culprit for many of skin ailments. Eliminating gluten and increasing my consumption of dark leafy greens has done wonders for me.
    Read the article I wrote about gluten here:

6. October 22nd, 2013 at 10:15 am

This “gift” is the only product of it’s kind that will actually rejuvenate collagen at the CELLULAR level. It’s 100% all natural, and contains 13 “super fruits”.

For beautiful skin, you must “begin from within”! I’m living proof that it works.

Also, check out http://sosforbabyboomers.com

7. Carmen
    October 25th, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Raw natural foods are the best solution for skin problems. Eat healthy fresh foods for good health and good skin!

8. October 28th, 2013 at 10:19 am

I don’t buy it!!! I’ve been told that I have beautiful skin and look 10 years younger then I am. I don’t eat one of those items mentioned in the list. It’s all in the genes, a healthy lifestyle and balanced diet. And don’t waste your time and money on buying products. Look inside for natural ways to live and heal.

9. March 19th, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Cannot figure out how to join your website for free. No explaination about what to enter into the boxes and the join free takes me nowhere, no matter what I enter. And the privacy policy is checked. Help

10. March 20th, 2014 at 9:58 am

I love papaya but trying to find non-GMO is getting really hard

11. July 24th, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I just read that book The Beauty Detox Solution. It is a must read!!!