My Five Beauty Obsessions: Vani Hari

Vani HariVani Hari is the founder of Food Babe, a forum through which she shares her personal experiences with healthy eating (and fitness and travel) and spells out what harmful ingredients are used in food processing, so we can all do a better job of avoiding them.

So, it makes sense that Hari, who’s a passionate advocate of GMO-food labeling, also cares deeply about avoiding unhealthy chemicals and carcinogens in her daily beauty routine.

We asked the natural beauty what products she uses to get gorgeous. And judging by her photo, we think that’s advice worth hearing. —Jamie McKillop

1. Dr. Hauschka Moisture Mask ($41) This facial mask is pure luxury. The facials I give myself at home are better than any professional facial I’ve ever received because of this product. My skin glows like a lightning beam after an application and feels so incredible.Tarte Mascara

2. Tarte Lights Camera Action Mascara ($17) or Carrot Juice. It’s a toss up. After adding carrots to my daily green juice, my eye lashes grew longer and my eyes got brighter. Tarte Mascara only adds oomph to this beauty miracle! Finding a mascara that worked without parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, SLS, and fragrance was really hard until I found Tarte.

3. Nutiva Coconut Oil ($24) I buy Nutiva Coconut Oil because I really believe in the company’s mission and I try to vote with my dollars. I use coconut oil in a lot of recipes, but most importantly I have a small jar of it dedicated to the bathroom cabinet. It removes eye makeup perfectly without any added chemicals—I still can’t believe I used to pay so much money for eye makeup remover filled with dyes and chemicals and was actually putting that junk on my face!

4. Yerba Prima Tampico Dry Skin Brush ($8) Taking care of my skin (the body’s largest organ) is one of my biggest priorities! I use a dry brush three times a week from head to toe before I shower to stimulate, rejuvenate, soften, and brighten my skin. I immediately notice if I slack off on my routine—my skin is just not the same!

5. Kiss My Face Olive Oil Soap ($5.50) I can’t stand using soap loaded with ingredients I can’t pronounce. This soap only has three clean ingredients—olive oil, salt, and water. I’ve been using this very simple soap for years and I don’t leave home without it. I make my own little perfect sized travel bars using my chef’s knife and cutting board in the kitchen.

For more information, visit foodbabe.com

1. October 30th, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Love Food Babe’s blog! So glad that you guys featured her – she is stunning!

2. October 31st, 2012 at 12:22 am

Love the recc for the Dr Haushcka Mask, I could do with a lightning bolt of brightness to my skin so I’m def giving this one a go :)

3. October 31st, 2012 at 10:59 am

I totally agree about voting with your dollars!! So important. And the coconut oil- I love putting in my hair :)

4. November 2nd, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I love Food Babe! Her blog is an incredible resource!

5. November 2nd, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Great article! What do you recommend for shampoo, conditioner and body wash?

6. November 2nd, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Hey, I completely switched over to TARTE makeup and am enjoying it. However, I have noticed something odd.. I wear contacts, when a wear TARTE eye makeup something is coming off onto my contact..? have you dealt with this? Do you wear contacts? The other slight issue is the lipgloss. I’m a lip gloss junkie, so I paid close attention to your info on the subject. I picked up TWO styles by TARTE and aren’t really thrilled with either… which one do you use specifically>? I do use Kiss My Face and will never use anything else again. I’ve switched my entire family to that soap. I use olive oil as moisterizer and coconut oil as eyemake up remover. it does save big bucks!!

7. November 5th, 2012 at 8:31 am

The dry brush is a great idea for winter skin! I’ll have to try it.

8. November 21st, 2012 at 10:22 am

If you don’t want to buy eyelashes or keep applying mascara over and over, grow your own long, dark and thick eyelashes with Latisse Eyelash Treatment.
    latisse orange county

9. September 27th, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Love food babe, thanks for the tips

10. April 4th, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Have some Kiss MY Face Olive Oil now , but it felt like it took all the moisture out of my face. and it may be my imagination but I felt it made me break out?
    I heard about using Coconut oil as a moisturizer but did not know about the eye make up remover. What are your thought on using it as a body and face moisturizer? And what do you know about oil pulling?

11. October 18th, 2014 at 8:29 am

I have noticed that Amazon is taking advantage of your endorsements by upping the prices on ALL the products you mention.They are always listed at a much higher price than you list. Shame on Amazon, this is very discouraging as a loyal Amazon shopper. Please see if Amazon will listen to you, Food Babe.

12. October 24th, 2014 at 8:53 am

Vani Hari is the biggest scammer currently around. Selling -fear monger- for your dollars.
    She cares zero about healthy stuff, it’s all self promotion.
    There is nothing scientific behind anything she says. I’m so glad food scientist and biologist Kevin Folta called out in public.
    She even left in a conference before he even asked her any questions whatsoever, because she knew she wouldn’t be able to answer any.

She is a FRAUD.

13. October 30th, 2014 at 10:38 pm

To lol:
    Vani Hari is not a scammer or fraud.

“Scientific” is not even needed to read/compare healthy ingredients to bad ones. She has helped a lot of people eat healthier. That’s all that matters.