15 ways to eat hemp seeds

Hemp Hearts raw shelled hemp seedsLately there’s been a lot of buzz about raw, shelled hemp seeds, and their health benefits and cool culinary uses.

“Hemp has an incredible nutritional profile that can help people fill some holes in their diet,” says Ashley Koff, RD, who’s partial to hemp’s omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, iron, magnesium, 11 grams of protein… the list could go on and on.

How to eat them? Yesterday, we asked Well+Good readers on Instagram. And many weighed in with super smart ideas and recipes. Here are 15 easy ways they get down with hemp seeds. So you can, too. —Jamie McKillop

Severing: On top of salads, or in my vinaigrettes. In my chia seed spread for sandwiches. Smoothies.

Beingtricia: I always have them on hand. Great to add to anything. Salads. Smoothies. Avocado. Veggies. Easy to make hemp milk too.

Feelmyspinee: With pasta sauce! They add some nuttiness to the dish. Very yum.

Nephriticus: On top of salad, rice, smoothies. Mum is obsessed with the crunch.

Kpaide: In yogurt and smoothies. Great stuff. Keep in fridge.

Tismejenny: I make hemp milk and add it raw to smoothies and the like. Love this brand in particular.

Wellnesstwin_marcella: Add it to my cauliflower for mock mashed potato. Salad dressing with garlic, olive oil, lemon, honey. Add it to my smoothies and oatmeal in the morning. Or to homemade granola.

Hungryrunner: I’ve been topping my oatmeal with them. I love @wellnesstwin_marcella’s idea for the cauliflower mashed potato add-in too!

Fernolivia: For an easy lunch, I sprinkle extra virgin olive oil over greens and top with hemp hearts. I take them with me in my bag everywhere, along with Himalayan sea salt. No joke. I am known to order a simple salad at the bar (because it is the only healthy, plant-based option) and ask for avocado if they have it, and I get all my proteins and minerals with my carry-on toppings! It’s an absolute staple of mine!

Mandyvelahuff: I use them in my chia seed pudding. So super power, delicious!

Jartumbler: ‏So good in smoothies! Yum. And sprinkled on protein pancakes just before flipping to the second side.

PamelayLong: Add them to quinoa flakes or oatmeal, I also sprinkle on almond or coconut yogurt for a yummy and nutritious snack.

MarissaVicario: Just sprinkle on salads and in smoothies no cooking necessary.

Emmyparr: I have hemp hearts in my refrigerator right now! They are great in a kale salad, dressed with extra-virgin olive oil/lemon. Simple is good.

Kattancock: Don’t cook them! I use them in smoothies, in salads, added to oatmeal before I eat it.

Got a method for eating hemp seeds that you love? Tell us in the Comments, below, or join the conversation on Instagram!

1. June 16th, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I have them at my desk and just much on a tiny handful when I feel like some extra protein!

2. June 17th, 2013 at 10:08 am

Good idea, Nicky!

3. June 17th, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Also I use them for cheesy items instead of cashew sometimes as cashews are known to be mildewy and such. Here is a cheezy kelp noodle recipe I posted a few years ago. http://www.yourjoyologist.com/2011/02/09/cheezy-kelp-noodles-of-love/

4. January 3rd, 2014 at 9:44 am

I have started to love hemp seeds, im looking for a quality recipe that has hemp seeds in it.

5. January 17th, 2014 at 11:12 am

can you just eat them as they are? obviously it seems better to add them to things like yoghurts and salads but if i didn’t ask i wouldn’t know

6. January 17th, 2014 at 11:51 pm

healthy is so easy and delicious.
    we’ve put it on sweet or savory agar gels. never heating it; (just lovin’ it).
    gonna try no bake pie crust next!

7. February 5th, 2014 at 6:00 am

I make my own Flax seed crackers with hemp seeds in them. They look pretty, the flax with the lighter colored hemp and they taste great. You just soak 1 cup of flax, 3 tbsp hemp seeds, and caraway in 2 cups water. When all water is absorbed pour onto pan lined with parchemtn paper and score into cracker squares. Bake at 250 degrees for about 2 hours. Homemake crackers that won’t raise your blood sugar!!

8. February 10th, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Terri
    Is that also 3 tbsps of caraway or is this compined with the hemp?

9. February 17th, 2014 at 10:49 pm

If you have hypothyroidism, it is recommended that you cook the seeds/hearts first to remove the goitrogen effect. :)

10. May 25th, 2014 at 5:11 pm

I add them to my homemade trailmix (almonds, sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and hemp seeds). The possibilities are endless. It was a little messy but delicious and healthy!

11. November 1st, 2014 at 9:44 pm

can I blend them up into powder and store them in a bottle and mix with my oats at a later time? Will the blended hemp powder oxidize?
    tks

12. November 14th, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I like to put them on toast with coconut oil, flax meal, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Sooooo yummy!