How to make your own hand cream

Jessica Bartley

(Photo: Ulive.com)

Jessica Bartley, an aesthetician and beauty expert based in Astoria, Queens, is the host of the aptly named EstheKitchen, a new short-form show on Ulive.com where she teaches viewers how to make beauty products using ingredients found in their kitchen cupboards.

To that end, we tapped Bartley for a recipe specifically tailored to a winter beauty issue we’re suffering from right now: super dry and chapped hands that our mittens just can’t seem to prevent. (Though massaging kale does seem to help.)

Just be sure to run out and buy a cute vintage jam jar to store it in first. —Jamie McKillop

Winter Wonder Hand Cream
(Makes one cup; shelf life is three to five months)

1/4 cup organic grapeseed oil
1/4 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup organic cocoa butter
1/8 cup aloe vera gel (commercially prepared gel will do)
1/8 cup rose water
1 tbs beeswax (add a touch more for a firmer cream)

Note: If you have a capsule of vitamin E or vegetable glycerine, adding a few drops of each is an awesome addition to this recipe, although totally unnecessary.

1. Sanitize all utensils, tools, bowls and containers with alcohol before you get started. Don’t be lazy, germs are not your friend and will lower the shelf life of your lotion.
2. Melt the cocoa butter, grapeseed oil, coconut oil, and beeswax in a double boiler on low heat, or in the microwave if that’s how you roll. (I use an old glass bowl or mason jar as it usually stays a little oily unless you are a scrubbing machine.) After these ingredients have melted together, remove from heat, and let the mixture sit until it firms up. Pop it in the fridge to speed this process up.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the aloe vera and rose water, as well as the vitamin E and glycerine if you are using these.
4. After your oil mixture has set up, scrape this mixture into a small food processor and blend slowly while drizzling in the rose water and aloe mixture a little at a time until completely combined. (You could also use an immersion blender for this step).You will be  left with a light creamy lotion that packs a serious punch.

Boom, it’s your super hydrating, super simple, Winter Wonder Hand Cream! Now slap that stuff in a clean, air tight container, store in a cool dry place, and enjoy it!

For more information, visit www.ulive.com

1. January 6th, 2014 at 10:56 am

What a great idea. Re: cleanliness of container: just swab with plain old alcohol? What abt boiling containers on the stove?

2. January 6th, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I’ve been looking for a doable DIY Hand Cream– a lot of the recipes I’ve come across have had a lot of ingredients but I actually have a few of the ingredients already and I’ve been planning to buy Grapeseed Oil for weeks now.

3. January 7th, 2014 at 5:44 am

Gorgeous – I love making my own beauty products and keep a list of recommended recipes and ingredients on the website. Thanks for sharing this and introducing me to Esthekitchen :)

This and a few other receipes are shared on the blog this week:

4. January 8th, 2014 at 1:37 pm

How long would this cream last? Does it need to be refrigerated?
    Thanks!

5. January 8th, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Never mind… I re-read the article and found my answers! :P

6. January 9th, 2014 at 2:03 pm

What purpose does the rosewater serve? Is it absolutely necessary?

7. January 9th, 2014 at 3:24 pm

cool stuff! never knew that you can use a food processor for this! thank you!

8. January 10th, 2014 at 2:50 am

Fantastic! I am so against using chemically based make-up and lotions. I know what I giving everyone for their birthdays this year!

9. January 10th, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Hey Guys! JesstheKitchen here :) Though I would pop over and answer some of your questions and say THANK YOU for the support!
    @ Mpm… Wiping out your containers with alcohol is a great but you could totally use boiling water as well, although It may take a little longer :)
    @D.E…I love grapeseed oil because it is a little lighter and highly nourishing but olive would do in a pinch!
    @Aldana…you should get a few months, although it will be long gone by then! Just be sure to store in a cool dry place as temperature can really get to home made beauty recipes!
    @Michelle…I Love rose water because it smells great, lightens up the cream a touch and makes blending the water components with the oil a touch easier but you could try subing distilled water or replacing it with extra aloe! Heck, you could try leaving it out all together(although your cream would likely be a bit thicker and more oily to the touch)! Get Crazy and have fun with it!
    Hope this helps! xo

10. May 2nd, 2014 at 10:31 am

i love the hand cream

11. December 29th, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Jessica, which I found your site first for hand cream. I hope you can help as I have a pretty good size batch. Smells nice but a bit on the oily side which would be great if you had been in the garden but not all the time. It looks great too. So now that it has solidified can I rewip it and maybe add aloa vera or something to lighten the hand cream. My ingredients below:
    1 c. coconut oil
    2 c. olive oil
    1 t. vit e oil
    2 ounces of bees wax
    3 cups of Lemon Myrtle Tea made with 3 bags and distilled water
    I used a hand wand and it wipped up fast and it set up fast. Just too oily. So, please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Please add my email to your site.
    Thanks