My Five Beauty Obsessions: Sarah Dubbeldam
When Sarah Dubbeldam remembers the years she spent as a model with Wilhelmina, Los Angeles, she recalls sitting in a room full of women with the exact same look as her—same measurements, same coloring, same facial features—waiting to be somehow “chosen.” She quickly realized that young women were being sent a very specific, very limited message about what beauty is (and isn’t) and she wanted to help change that.
Now, as the founder and editor-in-chief of Darling, the beautifully-designed lifestyle magazine she launched in 2011, Dubbeldam’s the one doing the “choosing”—with a very different message in mind.
“We feature a broad range of sizing, from zero up to whatever,” she says. “Our magazine is geared towards younger women, but we always show one or two older women to prove how beautiful wrinkles can be. For our last issue, we shot a woman who was 103 years old.” Darling—which in any given issue includes personal essays and travel tips to fashion spreads—uses models of many different ethnic backgrounds as well.
Dubbeldam further breaks with glossy mag norms by embracing green beauty products, both editorially and personally. Here are the ways she’s personally celebrating natural beauty right now. —Jamie McKillop
1. Sircuit Skin Sir Activ Plus ($48) I really like cleansing with this volcanic ash scrub, which makes your face feel really smooth and re-textured. It feels so great afterwards.
2. Alterna Caviar Replenishing Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner ($50) I have oily hair, but this really balances it out. My hair is also curly, and I like it to feel light and healthy. I put the shampoo in, kind of scrub it, then add water, which helps it to lather. I otherwise have a lot of issues with tangles, but my hair feels really soft after.
3. Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Airbrush Foundation ($48) I love wearing something that’s super light and airy. This has light-to-medium coverage for me. During the day, I don’t really mind if it comes off gradually—I just reapply before I go out at night. I have pretty dry skin, but this feels moisturizing.
4. RMS Beauty Lip2Cheek ($36) This looks just like my own natural color (it comes in a few shades, though). I use my middle finger and kind of dab it right on the apple of my cheek in a circle. It’s a lip gloss, too.
5. Jane Iredale Longest Lash Thickening and Lengthening Mascara ($28) This is really beautiful mascara that really separates your lashes. It has no tar or ingredients like that, and my eyelashes look really light, airy, and long. Plus, no smudges! I like to reapply before I go out at night.
For more information, visit www.darlingmagazine.org