Ready to stop wearing underwear to the gym?

Go commando yoga pants

(Photo: Dear Kate)

Workout underwear purveyor Dear Kate is adding a new product to its catalog: yoga pants made for going commando.

The specially designed pants are currently part of a Kickstarter campaign, and founder Julie Sygiel says she was inspired to create them after a friend confessed she never wore underwear to her workouts.

“I went for a run, and it was awesome—no bunching, super comfortable, and no worries about VPL,” she says.  [That's Visible Panty Line, just in case you're sheltered.] “It felt really freeing, but at the same time I felt way too exposed.”

So Sygiel decided to use the fabric technology she had created for Dear Kate’s fitness skivvies to make pants that would deal with the exposure part, using thicker (but still breathable) fabric and a lined crotch (with anti-camel toe seams, of course). They come in shorts, calf-length, and full-length.

To test them out, I followed her lead and pulled them on for a run. The current fabric makes it a little hard to wiggle into the pants (but they’ll be tweaking and perfecting it after the Kickstarter campaign). Once they were on, though, it was a pretty great feeling. I felt super protected as I jogged, like I was wearing undies, just without the bunching or chafing.

I did occasionally wonder if passersby were staring at my lower half. They weren’t, though, and I quickly forgot about it. Especially since there was no VPL to turn my attention in that direction. —Lisa Elaine Held

For more information, visit www.dearkates.com or their Kickstarter campaign.

Question: Would you go commando at the gym? Tell us, in the Comments, below.

1. June 20th, 2014 at 10:40 am

I had no idea women wore underwear under their workout pants. I never have.

2. June 20th, 2014 at 11:42 am

I know… I never wear underwear under mine either as it is not at all comfortable to do so, and furthermore, it just doesn’t look good. And besides, I do not think anyone is looking that closely to see whether you are wearing underwear or not… just be careful of the dreaded “C.T.” or pants that are too thin thus showing EVERYTHING!

3. June 20th, 2014 at 11:55 am

I always workout commando. No VPL, no worries. Also, much more comfortable.

4. June 20th, 2014 at 12:12 pm

cotton underwear would defeat the purpose. to stay dry.

5. June 20th, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Wow…now I never thought I was the only one who didn’t wear underwear while working out (never have/never will). I’m glad others are speaking up too. I think the better question is who would wear underwear at the gym?

6. June 20th, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Aren’t all workout pants made for going commando? why would anyone try to stuff undies in there?

7. June 20th, 2014 at 3:19 pm

I definitely wear underwear at the gym. But like Len said, cotton underwear.

8. June 20th, 2014 at 3:43 pm

I always wear underwear….feels weird not to.

9. June 20th, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I never wear underwear with my workout gear! My goods don’t deserve to be suffocated! Especially while working hard!

10. June 20th, 2014 at 3:59 pm

The comments made me laugh because I never go commando, nor have the interest. Until now…

11. June 20th, 2014 at 6:34 pm

What is going on in your nether region that you thought people would be staring if you didn’t wear underwear!?

12. June 20th, 2014 at 8:45 pm

i never wear undies under my workout gear. i agree with the other comments. the way more interesting thing is that this company makes special period underwear so we don’t have to wear liners anymore! great for the environment!! thanks for the heads up…

13. June 24th, 2014 at 11:34 am

I never wear underwear! I assumed most others didn’t either. I find wearing underwear to work out is pretty nasty – it actually makes me feel dirtier and sweatier. Also, I thought most workout pants WERE already lined in the crotch for this reason?