The 5 best and worst nutrition bars

1 / 13
nutrition-barsWhile nutrition bars can be part of a busy, healthy lifestyle, there are a few good reasons they're not stocked next to the kale and blueberries at your grocery store.

Many are made with cheap, low-quality ingredients and are hiding tons of sugar and additives that can cause digestive distress and prevent absorption of important nutrients says Ariane Hundt, MS, a star Clinical Nutritionist and founder of Brooklyn Bridge Boot Camp.

More Reading: Why you should make your own nutrition bars (and how to do it)

To help you avoid those and grab the healthiest one the next time you really need portable protein, we asked Hundt to help us evaluate close to 40 of the most popular bars on the market, based on ingredient lists, nutrient balance, sugar content, and more.

More Reading: The 6 best vegan protein bars

Read on for the five best and worst nutrition bars currently available, plus a bonus selection of “snack” bars that have less protein but are great for a quick pick-me-up bite when you need it.  —Lisa Elaine Held; research by Emily Karr

Originally published July 16, 2012, updated July 29, 2015. (Photo: Valerie Fischel for Well+Good)

Want more articles like this emailed to you? Subscribe to Well+Good!

Five Best Nutrition Bars

best nutrition bars1. Health Warrior Dark Chocolate Coconut Sea Salt Protein Bar

Superfood chia seeds are the protein powerhouse ingredient in this bar, and many of its other clean, whole-food, plant-based ingredients are organic. It has 10g of protein and 5g of fiber to balance out the sugar, plus an omega 3 boost you’ll get from the chia. "This is great for people who want something that’s crunchy and slightly sweet for a snack," Hundt says (and for vegans!). "It’s delicious and well-balanced in terms of the ingredients." www.healthwarrior.com

(Photo: Health Warrior)

Five Best Nutrition Bars

best nutrition bars2. Quest Coconut Cashew

"The great thing about this one is just the high fiber and protein content," Hundt says, referring to 17g and 20g, respectively, packed into just 170 calories. Quality ingredients like almonds, coconut, sea salt, and whey protein isolate also satisfy other nutrition requirements, although they’re not organic. One note: Hundt says to steer clear of Quest’s bars that contain sucralose, like the popular Cookies & Cream. www.questnutrition.com

(Photo: Quest)

Five Best Nutrition Bars

best nutrition bars3. Oatmega Chocolate Coconut Crisp

Hundt discovered this Austin-based brand recently and fell hard for the tasty, low-sugar, gluten-free bars made with mostly organic ingredients and whey protein from grass-fed cows. This chocolatey one has 14g of protein, 7g of fiber, and added fish oil (that you don’t taste!) for the essential fatty acids. www.givebar.com

(Photo: Oatmega)

Five Best Nutrition Bars

best nutrition bars4. Bonk Breaker Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein

"One of the things that athletes eat during long endurance events is peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and this bar tastes almost like the real deal," Hundt says, of this bar she recommends for right after a really tough workout (or during a super long bike ride), because of its higher sugar content. It comes with natural ingredients and 15g of protein and tastes "fantastic." www.bonkbreaker.com

(Photo: Bonk Breaker)

Five Best Nutrition Bars

best nutrition bars5. Epic Bison Bacon Cranberry

Perfect for a Paleo eater (who loves jerky), Epic’s bars have only a few ingredients and are literally meaty. This one comes with 11g of protein from nutrient-dense, lean, organic, grass-fed bison meat and uncured bacon, and the only sugar is from dried cranberries. “It’s very clean, and sodium can be helpful after a workout to refuel lost electrolytes,” Hundt says. (Just be warned: if you're not into chewy hunks of meat, it's not for you.) www.epicbar.com

(Photo: Epic)

Five Worst Nutrition Bars

worst nutrition bars1. Luna Bar Lemon Zest

This "bar for women" has more sugar than both protein and fiber and is filled with processed soy in many forms. While some of those are organic, the very first ingredient listed (which means it makes up the highest percentage of the bar) is ultra-processed “soy rice crisps” made with non-organic soy protein isolate, AKA likely GMO soy drenched in pesticides.  It also contains “natural flavor” which can disguise many unhealthy additives you don’t want. “They’re just using really cheap ingredients,” Hundt says. www.lunabar.com

(Photo: Luna)

Five Worst Nutrition Bars

worst nutrition bars2. ZonePerfect Chocolate Peanut Butter

When corn syrup is listed twice on an ingredient list (in addition to sugar), take that as a warning sign. This is another bar where Hundt says you can tell the company is using super cheap ingredients, and non-organic, processed soy is the very first one. "And then they add so many vitamins that you don’t need or want," she says. www.zoneperfect.com

(Photo: ZonePerfect)

Five Worst Nutrition Bars

worst nutrition bars3. ThinkThin High Protein Bar Chunky Peanut Butter

Twenty gram of protein is a great number, but not when that protein is from cheap, processed sources and paired with canola oil and "natural" flavors. Also, "caseinate" ingredients (calcium caseinate, sodium caseinate), can actually suppress mineral absorption, Hundt says, and while the 0g of sugar may intrigue you, the sugar alcohols used to sweeten this bar may do a number on your gut. "All that sugar alcohol, if you eat a lot of it, it will upset your digestion, make you gassy, and give you diarrhea," she says.  Think "no, thanks." www.thinkproducts.com

(Photo: ThinkThin)

Five Worst Nutrition Bars

worst nutrition bars4. PowerBar ProteinPlus Chocolate Brownie

Hundt calls this bar “syrup, syrup, syrup” for its whopping 27g of sugar from a variety of sweeteners like cane invert syrup, fructose syrup, and malitol syrup. It’s also got lots of processed, non-organic soy, a combination that's not likely to power you through any workout (or towards long-term health). "That’s going to cause you some digestive issues, for sure," Hundt says. "I can’t see it sitting in your stomach well." www.powerbar.com

(Photo: PowerBar)

Five Worst Nutrition Bars

worst nutrition bars5. Balance Bar Cookie Dough

"I don’t think you need to add vitamins unless you’re trying to cover up the low-quality ingredients," Hundt says of this bar, which she says is another example of a syrupy, fructose-laden, processed-GMO-soy bar, but boasts its "23 vitamins and minerals" to entice you. What your body will definitely absorb: tons of unhealthy oils and sugar. www.balance.com

(Photo: Balance Bar)

best nutrition barsBonus Good-For-You Snack Bars!

These three runner-up picks are less substantial, so they won’t necessarily fill you up or function as post-workout fuel, but they’re great for a quick afternoon snack.

1. GoRaw Live Pumpkin Sprouted Bar
An option for raw foodies that Hundt likes because it has "only a few ingredients and is organic."

2. KIND Dark Chocolate Nuts & Sea Salt
"It's a well-balanced snack bar, good ingredients, and low on the sugar," she says. And major bonus: these are super easy to find, from Starbucks to local delis.

3. This Bar Saves Lives Madagascar Vanilla Almond & Honey
"It’s not going to be very filling, but the ingredients look pretty good," Hundt says. "It’s a balanced bar for weight maintenance." Not to mention its give-back mission, which is good for your heart.

(Photo: KIND)

• 1.5k

1. July 16th, 2012 at 8:55 am

Well I’ve only ever eaten Luna bars! I wish this information was more common knowledge! But thanks for the new bar recommendations! Excited to try some new stuff!

2. July 16th, 2012 at 10:53 am

I so agree, used to love Luna Bar Lemon Zest! Loved the info from this article. Thanks.

3. July 16th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I do love Luna bars (c’mon, they are delicious) but I view them as a “healthier candy bar” mostly. I keep them in my desk to help me keep the willpower to pass on birthday cupcakes or doughnuts at the office (they’re definitely a better option there).

4. July 16th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

This article is a joke, simply reading off the calories etc from the labels. Getting organic ingredients, whole foods, sprouted foods, alkaline foods, that is to say quality produce in a bar is more important IMO. Bars like everything else should be eaten in moderation. If you are moderate, eat healthy whole foods including lots of cegetables most of the time and lead a healthy lifestyle, then the amounts of calories and fiber will take care of themselves. The bars you preferred are mainly non organic processed junk.

5. July 16th, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I have tried Luna Bars before and I can say first hand they are not an effective “diet bar”. I would tend to agree with Kelly, a Luna Bar is more of a healthy candy bar. I would classify it as more of a healthy snack on a cheat day…

hope this helps :)

6. July 17th, 2012 at 1:13 pm

A well-informed article. So many snack/nutrition bars out there have all the right health buzz words: raw, superfood, vegan – but still contain way too much sugar, cheap forms of protein, or too many calories. It seems as though most people aren’t looking for a meal replacement – they’re looking for a snack that will get them through their errands, something they can carry in their purse, that doesn’t have the nutritional stats of a candy bar (even if said candy bar contains “greens.” Get your greens, fruits, etc. from real, whole foods, and use a snack bar for what it is – something to keep your energy from crashing!

7. July 17th, 2012 at 3:22 pm

A bit surprised to read Clif bars and Luna Bars on this list, although I am training for a marathon and LOVE clif bars. Hmmm, the lemon zest bars being on the “don’t-eat” list also surprised. I will agree with Christopher above; my mantra is “everything in moderation.”

8. July 17th, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I think bars are an effective tool for some, but shouldn’t replace healthy whole food meals. If you travel for business or need healthy meal options at work / on the go, they are good to have on hand. Of the bars featured in this post, I personally would only recommend Quest Bars because the Carb to protein ratio is the lowest and they are high in fiber. Even though some of the other bars on the “best” list have an impressive ingredients list, they still have a lot of carbs. Quest Bars also use whey protein (which many scientific researchers agree is healthier than soy protein) and they have an All Natural Line (in addition to the Original Line, which is 99.95% all natural, according to their website). Another great option is the Tanka Bar (buffalo – cranberry bar) or straight-up beef jerky, like Paleo Brands Beef Jerky.

9. July 17th, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Hi THere,

Thank you your article is very insightful for training. Loved it.

10. July 21st, 2012 at 3:57 am

I’m a big fan of Zing Almond bars myself, but I fulfill my nutritional needs from a variety of sources. The absolute best resource on nutritional supplements I know of is “The Truth About Supplements.” It’s a guide that covers just about every aspect of supplements; what you need for a specific workout, which ones work and which ones don’t, etc. My review of it is here.

11. July 26th, 2012 at 8:38 am

Great post! I bookmarked your site so I’ll be back again when I have more time to look around :)

12. July 30th, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I think you should specify your desired demographic for this article, eg “5 best and worst nutrition bars – for weight loss”. As someone who is trying to ‘bulk up’ after a recent surgery, I imagine a best and worst list for me would read about the opposite. Please be more thoughtful when dealing with the ‘unequivocal’ – you note that Cliff Bars are a great option for people with certain interests, and then leave it on the ‘worsts’ list.

13. August 8th, 2012 at 4:32 pm

That Quest coconut bar tastes horrible….and that is coming from a person that likes the taste of 98% of protein bars out there. Horribly sticky consistency as well.
    I realize this is a nit-picky review, but I just want to potentially save someone from spending $ (I paid $2.50) on it.

14. December 3rd, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I also love love LOVE YogaEarth Keen-WAH bars!!

15. January 18th, 2013 at 7:59 am

I commend you on making the most important point in your first paragraph. Sure, nutrition bars may be tasty but, for the average person going to the gym looking to shed a few pounds, they can add just enough calories to negate the energy burnt during the workout. I tell my clients and patients to just stick to water during their workouts and nix the energy bars and sports drinks (unless needed for long-duration exercise/sports). Keep up the good work. Cheers, Bill Sukala,PhD

16. January 26th, 2013 at 1:30 pm

What is the protein content on the Amazing Grass bar? Even though it has a high sugar content, from the dates (natural sugar) if there is a decent protein content it blocks/slows the absorption of sugar into the blood stream. This bar should definitely not be listed in the worst category.

17. January 26th, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Also, FYI sugar, aka glucose is necessary as fuel for athletes. So it depends on what you are using the bar for. If it’s an energy bar, you definitely want the extra sugar.

18. March 19th, 2013 at 9:09 pm

THANK YOU!!! Fiiiinally someone is recognizing Quest as one of the best nutrition bars on the planet! i discovered these bars about 2 years ago, and I’ve eaten 1 per day every day since. Incredible taste, incredible nutrient profile, simply amazing.

19. April 2nd, 2013 at 11:01 am

The fructose found in fruits like dates is totally natural and NOT the same as High Fructose Corn Syrup, which IS one facet of the obesity epidemic. (A close friend of mine has been doing 80/10/10 for 2 years and she is the furthest thing from obese while consuming an average of 5,000 calories a day eating fruits and veggies, including large quantities of dates and bananas. Living proof that a fruitatarian can run marathons). Please do better research.

20. James
    May 10th, 2013 at 5:17 am

These bars or OK once and a while but you can’t beat real whole food for healthy snacking.

21. May 10th, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Hands down, the Quest bars(all of them, many flavors) are thee best in my 12 years of research and personal experience, for me. Low, low sugar, great protein and fiber, and tastes thee best of any bar I’ve had. It changed my attitude, it helps to keep me on track, I don’t get a big fay gut…..just can’t say enough about Quest bars, thank God I found them.

22. tamra
    May 13th, 2013 at 8:54 pm

have you tried kate’s? real food bars – are amazing! http://katesrealfood.com/ easy on the tummy and so tasty! i an an avid outdoor adventurer and these bars are the best!

23. Jenny
    June 6th, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Gosh I had no idea Luna bars were so bad for you! Interesting to read about the natural sugar content in some of these nutrition bars – it had never occurred to me that cranberries might be a problem.

24. August 23rd, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Yeah, you really have to read the labels. Even then however, it can be difficult to put it all into perspective. Here is a cool graphic that dissects a Clif Bar to show you exactly what is inside: http://whatsnickeating.com/2013/04/14/dissecting-a-clif-bar/

25. August 27th, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Have to admit I wasn’t surprised to see Cliff bars on the list, just because my gut kept telling me something with that big an ad campaign (and available in every store / walmart) must have something fishy about it.

And yep, totally agree, if you’ve got a good diet and eating regularly vegetables etc then you probably shouldn’t be snacking on nutrition bars but some days you really need a bit extra.

Thanks for all the info Ariane, awesome stuff

26. September 27th, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Great research very impressed! I did a google search for organic protein bars with no nuts or whey. I found two out of the 13 protein bars you mentioned. Zing dark chocolate Mint,

Health warrior has chia seeds this is a new find for me. I love chia seeds. I am hiking and water rafting into the Grand Canyon and need healthy snacks.

27. October 26th, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Fruit sugar will make you fat faster than white? Get the hell out of here. All faith in this article, out the window after that.

28. October 30th, 2013 at 3:23 pm

So happy to see Quest Bars included in the “Best” list. Nutritionally speaking, these really are the best protein bars on the market. And 17 grams of fiber!!! Are you kidding me!? Amazing. My trainer introduced me to them on my new diet. I eat one every day as my snack in between my breakfast & lunch. Lets just say that fiber keeps me “beyond regular” (ha!) & my tummy feels full without that heavy feeling. These bars do have a “slight aftertaste” but they are a far cry from “disgusting.” I love the coconut cashew & banana nut muffin – my fave flavors.

29. November 21st, 2013 at 11:36 pm

The bottom line here is every single one of these bars is nothing more then processed food. If you’re concerned about health or you want to lose weight or you want to be healthy you simply eat whole one ingredient foods from the earth! End of story. Fruits vegetables salmon and other healthy fish. There is no such thing as a healthy processed food.

30. December 20th, 2013 at 1:56 am

I sure wish these writers would GET REAL and disclose the gas/flatulence that these bars give us. Luna Bars – I only eat them if no one will be around me 3 hours later, worse than eating at McDonald’s.

31. December 20th, 2013 at 11:27 pm

My trainer turned me onto quest bars…and I love them. They are filling, have a good amount of protein and fiber. The ingredient list is also relatively short, which is usually a good sign. My favorite is the apple pie…stick that bar in the microwave for ten seconds and bam…mmmm. Of course the comments are true…these bars should be fallback plans…you know work ran way longer than it was supposed to and you have to be at the gym in twenty minutes for leg day but not on an empty stomach. They shouldn’t be a diet staple. I sneak mine in on nights when I NEED dessert.

32. scarlett
    December 26th, 2013 at 8:44 pm

For weight loss..Good or bad it’s all about CALORIES people. LUNA bars are 180 calories, no big deal 180 calories for a dessert or snack is no big deal. they are delicious and filling. If you have a sweet tooth but are on a diet why not enjoy a sweet treat for only 180 cals and 70% organic with vitamins doesn’t hurt either.

33. December 31st, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Despite efforts by the Weston Price Foundation and paleo people in general to convince you that soy is somehow unhealthy, the scientific studies clearly show that soy is a healthy protein source with many benefits. One can search the thousands of studies done on soy via PubMed or elsewhere for the truth.

34. January 1st, 2014 at 7:54 pm

So sad about Luna Bars!! They are my fave grab and go for work! and I don’t know about the others but I know Kind and Larabar’s are at least twice as much as Luna Bars.

35. January 1st, 2014 at 7:55 pm

And Dave, I don’t care how healthy soy is, if I eat it it gives me really bad gas, worse than beans ever had, thanks but no thanks.

36. January 11th, 2014 at 5:23 pm

As I try to gain weight from a spell of being too healthy (crazy? Yeah, I know!) Luna bars are a saving grace! Normal granola bars are much lighter and easy to get sick of. Luna bars are a quick way to get calories, carbs and protein. Switching off between Luna’s and normal granola bars help me out a lot. It is not true to say that certain bars are “Bad” because we all need them for different things. Not everyone needs to lose weight.

37. January 15th, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Wow you really have no understanding of fruit, please educate yourself and read 801010 and look into Dr Doug Graham before telling people horribly wrong information about fruit, you are just causing so much damage.

38. January 21st, 2014 at 1:41 pm

I would like you to check out a new bar in the market – Oorja Nutrition Bar. At http://www.oorjabar.com.

I am the CEO and founder. I sincerely believe it will change the landscape of nutrition bars. This is the world’s first nutrition bar that has every good thing and none of the bad things – High Protein, Low Net Carbs, Low GI, High Fiber, Gluten Free, GMO Free, Low Sugar, Low Sodium, Sourced from Organic Ingredients, All healthy fats, No Chemicals, No Artificial Preservatives, No Additives, No Artificial Sweeteners or Sugar Alcohols, No Bitter Aftertaste.And tasty.

Check out oorjabar.com. There are also videos of strangers tasting the bar for the first time and getting impressed.

If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer.

Krishna Rathi
    Oorja Nutrition LLC

39. January 25th, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Nice information. I just created my recipe and know for sure what your eating.

1/2 cup of Buckwheat in water overnight rinse. three to four table spoons of chia, teaspoon of raw honey a table spoon of blackstrap molasses two table spoons of almond peanut butter mush together cut in sections and you have a healthy snack for workouts , hikes etc. (all organic ingredients of course.) Great for diabetics.

40. February 2nd, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Saw Krishna’s message above. I want to second Oorja Bar. Happened to be in SF where they launched the bar. Also on their website. It is unlike any bar I have tasted. It is actually healthy and tasty at the same time. Who knew? High protein and no artificial crap. Go check it out.

41. February 27th, 2014 at 2:18 pm

WTF I’m not scrolling through 13 pages to find the dumb answer. I’m going somewhere else. Idiots!

42. February 27th, 2014 at 4:31 pm

in LOVE with Quest Bars!

43. March 5th, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Love the comparison of bars and the reality of hidden garbage that can lurk in them. I prefer the Lara bars due to the simple and minimal list of legible ingredients. Great article!

44. March 8th, 2014 at 6:57 am

Although I’m sure all of these are great, nothing compares to making a batch of your own!! There’s no guessing there and no one knows your taste like you!

45. March 12th, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I wish that this had been labeled best bars for weight loss. I am recovering from a restrictive eating disorder, so I need extra calories, sugar, and carbs along with my protein.

46. March 14th, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Some of these bars, if not all, aren’t bad for the average person. Read the labels. They all say how much sugar and carbs they contain. Most bars are meant to be a meal replacement,mso 250 calories isn’t all that bad. I make my own bars using 3 cups of rolled oats, a cup of peanut butter (organic), four table spoons of agave, a cup of dried blueberries, four tbsp of berry powder ( I use natural sources maqui berry blend) and a cup and a half of applesauce. Mix and put in glass pan for 30 minutes). Let cool thoroughly and cut into squares or bars. A one ounce bar has 160 calories, 14 carbs and 9 g of sugar. They may not make any lists, but they are filling and yummy,

47. March 16th, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Good Greens. They’re amazing. Check them out.

48. March 17th, 2014 at 1:57 pm

The Quest Bars mentioned contain Sucralose, which is Splenda. Why would that be of any benefit when it has been linked to certain cancers in lab tests ?

49. March 20th, 2014 at 10:31 am

Does anyone have any opinions about Bumble Bars?

50. March 20th, 2014 at 5:52 pm

The “bad” bars aren’t unhealthy, they’re just dense. That’s good for people who can’t digest a ton of food at once like me. For example, I eat 3 or so clif bars after a 2 hour bike ride. Exercising burns a lot of calories!

51. March 28th, 2014 at 7:48 am

Hidden Garbage, Vanessa? Every single ingredient is listed on these packages. If the ingredients are “hidden” it’s because you’re too lazy to bother to look.

52. March 30th, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Someone look up Raw Revolution bars.
    Organic, Vegan, Kosher, and Gluten Free. Their cherry/chocolate is wonderful. Is heavy in protein, so know when to eat them. Their natural ingredients should have got them on this list.

53. March 31st, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I like Oorja Bars. Recently launched. I happen to sample them at a demo event and purchased couple of boxes. Their nutritional profile is the best. I have tried Quest. But these are better. They have far lower sodium and no weird tasting sucralose/stevia. Strongly recommended.

54. April 5th, 2014 at 8:24 am

There are many bars out there. I am always looking for new organic bars with high quality ingredients that do not use bad sweeteners like Agave or Cane Sugar. Currently still using Garden Of Life Raspberry Greens bar, the only bar I can still eat after many months of using it. I have tried quite a few others over the years, but that’s my favorite.

55. April 12th, 2014 at 8:50 am

I bought KIND and the Chia bars. They’re both good.
    But I am surprised at the recommendation of the QUEST bar.
    It has erythritol and stevia in it and frankly was too sweet for my taste.
    I also felt dizzy afterwards and sufferers from the digestive side effect of erythritol. I don’t recommend this one from taste or health standpoint.

56. April 13th, 2014 at 6:17 am

THE best bars imo (taste and nutrition both) are the low sugar kind bars. Dark chocolate, nuts and sea salt are my favorite. All the other flavors are good too. 200 calories, all packed with nutricious goodness. Just be sure to check ingredients on anything you buy.

57. April 15th, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Wait, fructose is bad… as in the banana I just ate is bad for me?? Somehow I don’t think this could be true.

58. April 21st, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Protein bars can be one of the worst foods for you. Many are filled with sugar, and those that are not are filled with artificial sugar. If you can’t pronounce what is in it, you probably shouldn’t eat it. There are a few good brands. One of my favorite is Cliff bars, but the only time I eat it is if I am extremely hungry and there are no other food options. Whole foods are best. Instead of bars, I reach for bananas, apples, oranges, and nuts to keep my energy up when I am on the road.

59. April 24th, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I love KIND bars! You have to pay attention to the labels, because they are not all nutritionally the same. The Madagascar Vanilla Almond bars are the best though – only 4g sugar and 7g protein.

60. April 29th, 2014 at 2:49 pm

i love Nutrilite meal and snakc bars.. Lovee lovee lovee it.. the best.. :) :D tastes sooo good and has alot of nutritional stuffs in it.. love it..! :)

61. May 27th, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I have researched true nutritional bars for a long time as I use them for hiking. Far and away the only really high nutrition low sugar bars I found was a product from the US called Pulse. Unfortunately I can no longer find them in Australia but if you do go to the US…..

62. May 28th, 2014 at 10:57 am

I LOVE the Quest bars and am so glad they made the list!!!!

63. May 29th, 2014 at 12:13 pm

You serously need to specify that you are strictly viewing this from a weight loss perspective. The goal of nutrition is…nutriment. A calorie load is a big part of what I’m looking for from these things.

64. June 4th, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Sucralose is the sweetener used for Quest bars.

Not good.

65. June 18th, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Those Quest bars sound pretty good other than the fact that they have at least 10% of the salt you need for the day. It has 250mg of Sodium compared to 20mg for the #1 bar from Kind. Of course Quest beats Kind on protein, fiber, and sugar. Seems like you just trade one evil for the other with any of these.

66. June 18th, 2014 at 4:03 pm

HAHAHA, dumb ass, fruit sugar is the most healthiest natural occurring sugar, white sugar I guarantee you will make you much fatter, and obese, and ugly then fruit sugar….do your research better, my god people like you who believe internet shit will never get anywhere good if you continue to believe that. Oh by the way my friend is on a eat only fruit diet, and GUESS WHAT! She lost 50 lbs.

67. June 23rd, 2014 at 2:20 pm

You lost your credibility when you blamed fruit for making us obese and lazy. Ever hear of Michael Arnstein. And who wants to load up on Whey over dried fruit?

68. June 24th, 2014 at 11:32 am

Interesting theory about fruit making you fat. Now google fruitarians, who eat fruit almost exclusively, and see if you can find a fat one. Then make a reminder for yourself to not publish such damaging misinformation in the future.

69. July 10th, 2014 at 1:25 am

Whoever wrote this article is NOT a nutrition professional, and is not a reliable source. I am a nutrition major and a lot of things in this article are completely false and contradict what I have learned even in basic classes. Calories are not the most important thing to judge food by, INGREDIENTS are. Again, the author of this should not be giving nutrition advice and I urge this company to hire people who are qualified in nutrition and exercise sport sciences to write articles!!

70. August 22nd, 2014 at 7:22 am

Here is one you probably haven’t heard about, check it out on their website, http://www.ebars.com/ and while you are at it check out the website of this expert on healthy transformation, http://www.johnjubilee.com You will be glad you did.

71. October 12th, 2014 at 12:33 pm

What about Medfast and Atkins bars???

72. November 16th, 2014 at 5:17 am

I have to completely disagree with you on PRO-BAR review…… When a company goes out of its way to put in large capital letters (MEAL REPLACEMENT ENERGY BAR) right on the front of the wrapper, While still being (vegan) friendly, certified organic and NoN-GMO and to boot using 100% dairy free while still providing 8g protein & 5g fiber and plenty carbs for energy to get you through a tough workout, yoga class, shopping, hiking or work day. These bars are absolutely great choice for someone on the go and did not have time to plan out a healthy meal to get through the day and very tasty. With Omega 3 & 6 to boot. (NO SUGAR ALCOHOLS EITHER)…

73. juliana
    December 16th, 2014 at 7:12 am

In my experience the best bars are questbars and then right after clif bars with atkins bars as a top 3.
    I just hate how expensive quest bars normally are. I found that the cheapest i ever bought were at iherb for 44 dollar for 2 packages. it was with a coupon though. i can recommend the cookie dough and the oreal bar.. amazing!!

74. Emily RD
    February 23rd, 2015 at 11:55 am

I am always sad to see articles like this written by people who clearly have no legitimate knowledge of nutrition whatsoever. There are many incorrect and unsubstantiated claims in this piece.

75. Cassie
    April 13th, 2015 at 4:46 pm

I LOVE Quest bars!

76. April 30th, 2015 at 8:09 am

Anyone know any good nut-free bars?

77. July 19th, 2015 at 1:57 pm

This website is so poorly made. The content might be good, but who knows, because you cannot get to it. Is it not tested on iPhone 6. And the annoying this article is recommended for you- has no way to make it go away. Pass

78. July 29th, 2015 at 11:14 am

Best Bar Ever is my choice. So delicious and healthy. I love that it’s got the macro nutrients and well balanced ratio of protein. I can only find them online, so that’s the only challenge!

79. July 29th, 2015 at 11:14 am

80. July 29th, 2015 at 11:21 am

So glad to see the KIND Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt bar is a runner up! I love that it’s low in sugar, has a decent amount of protein from the nuts (not to mention a nice crunch) and absolutely satisfies my sweet tooth and dark chocolate craving! While it’s not cheap, it’s typically much cheaper than a lot of the other “nutrition” bars on the shelves.

(On another note, I agree with lotus212 – the website functionality and user experience needs some work.)

81. July 29th, 2015 at 11:24 am

Can’t help but love my Luns bars! I have a whey allergy and so many bars use milk protein in them. I hate to eat breakfast, makes me feel sick, but I know I need it to start the day right so a Luna bar works well for me..has the mix I’m looking for and i want soy. The price can’t me matched by other bars but I do wish they were “cleaner”.

82. July 29th, 2015 at 11:29 am

The Bonk Breaker looks good–but anything with cane sugar as an ingredient will undoubtedly taste pretty great. Unfortunately, I don’t eat that anymore.

I’m with the rest of the commenters about Quest bars. I prefer the ones without sucralose (Splenda), and the newer ones they are making don’t have it (like the Lemon Pie, which is incredible). They use erythritol/stevia blend instead. Incidentally, erythritol is also a ‘sugar alcohol’ but it doesn’t seem to cause the same stomach upset as maltitol, which is nasty stuff (used by Think Thin). It’s important to make the distinction I think, because erythritol is showing up in everything these days.

83. July 29th, 2015 at 11:51 am

Powered by Oats, Honey and Love : LOLA GRANOLA BARS are delicious gluten free snack bars only sweetened with honey and offer 31g of whole grains!

84. July 29th, 2015 at 11:57 am

It is a shame that posts like these are published on such a popular and generally well-trusted web page. A Certified Nutritionist is NOT a Registered Dietitian. A Registered Dietitian goes through extensive schooling and internship experience and provides nutrition education conditional to evidence based, thoroughly researched resources. I cringed reading this article, as so many claimed facts are not true and important nutrition education is left out, for example, that Luna Bars are an excellent source of calcium, iron, and folic acid which is lacking in the typical Western diet.
    When posting nutrition related articles, PLEASE seek a NUTRITION EXPERT, AKA a Registered Dietitian so that this false information is not imposed on the public. For a company obsessed with my well and goodness, I am very disappointed in all the false information I just read.

85. July 29th, 2015 at 4:21 pm

What about Lara bars? Those are my go to…

86. July 29th, 2015 at 6:51 pm

I love Quest bars, but I recently realized they REALLY mess up my digestive tract when I eat them a few days in a row, which I tend to do when traveling.

87. July 29th, 2015 at 6:59 pm

None of them sounded very good to me. I think I’ll make my own. Any good organic recipes out there? Also it has to be raw.

88. July 29th, 2015 at 8:04 pm

I am surprised you did not have GoMacro bars in your top 5!!!

89. July 30th, 2015 at 1:31 am

Used to be overwhelmed by the amount of bars to choose from but now confused on which are best. The new issue (Sept 2015) Consumer Reports just listed certain Kind bars and Larabars in the top 3 in two categories. So based on all the above Larabar fans and my love of Kind bars I will stick with Consumer Reports!

90. July 30th, 2015 at 9:04 am

I really like Quest bars for all the reasons given but mostly because they do not contain soy. I am very allergic to soy and it seems that most companies use it.

91. July 30th, 2015 at 11:30 am

These Nothin’ But bars are my fave!! Perfect for a hike or for travel. Both filling and delicious and full of ingredients that I can actually recognize: seeds, oats, dried fruit, nuts, honey, olive oil! http://www.nothinbutfoods.com/

92. July 30th, 2015 at 9:45 pm

I only eat the bars when I need energy for biking, skiing, hiking. The best to give you an energy boost are the warrior bars and the bonk budgets.

93. August 4th, 2015 at 3:15 am

Arbonne’s nutrition bars are great, especially for people with allergies. They are free of gluten, dairy, nuts, eggs, and soy plus contain no artificial colors, flavors or trans fats. They contain 10g of vegan protein, which is much easier to digest than whey or soy protein

94. August 8th, 2015 at 7:41 am

The Perfect Bar is the best bar ive had. orgainic, all natural ingredients. look it up and thank me later

95. August 10th, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Great info, even if others may not think it is helpful ;-) One bar you may want to look at is made in Canada. PowerPlant! It is vegan, gluten free, raw, nut free and organic. They are great for energy with a good balance of protein, and made with whole food ingredients. The company does ship to the U.S. and with the exchange they are a bargain right now! I would encourage you the check them out! The website is http://www.powerplantwholefoods.com/

96. August 17th, 2015 at 9:45 am

I absolutely love quest bars! The most filling/healthiest bar on the market in my option. I get the cinnamon roll since it is part of their natural line and it really tastes great. i avoid popular bars like cliff, Luna, and powerbar….they are just a protein packed candy bar to me!

97. August 23rd, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Luna bars are actually non-gmo. They are owned by Clif Bars, which is a family owned, verified non-gmo company

98. August 31st, 2015 at 3:22 am

To achieve a high level of fitness, human body requires necessary nutrients to boost fitness. A couple pieces of fruit or a piece of fruit and a handful of fresh almonds would be a better choice. The food that you ingest should be adequate to meet the needs of your physical workout.

99. August 31st, 2015 at 3:30 am

Avoid poor diet like fried food, canned food, sugary food, etc. are not a sensible source of nutrition if you wish to enhance your physical health. A healthy diet should consist of water, protein, carbohydrates and vitamin and minerals.

100. September 7th, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Unfortunately, Quest has now changed their formula to include GMO corn fiber and unhealthy palm kernel oil. They have increased the fat and calories while reducing the fiber. The talk is horrible and there is now a distinct chemical aftertaste.

101. September 21st, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Wooohhhh ……Never had a problem with Luna Bars, and they do the trick. I would recommend them over the other brands hands down. They are always improving the quality as well. Luna…..none other !!!

102. September 29th, 2015 at 9:10 am

After reading several comments and the article, I’m sticking with my organic bars loaded with 18 g of undenatured whey protein and it can be a meal replacement when on the go at 250 cal, or you can split it for a quick snack. But these aren’t sold anywhere. You have to buy them through a distributor. Used by the best athletes and Olympians and approved by NSF.

103. October 8th, 2015 at 11:18 am

Most of the these bars I wouldn’t dare eat. I would say they are the healthiest either. You want two amazing nutrient packed bars? Try GNC Puredge with Chia & Flax or try Bup bars. These bars have the same texture as Quest bars but the nutrition found in these two bars are off the charts. Both can be found online or at GNC.