10 healthy uses for apple cider vinegar

health uses for apple cider vinegar

Like this story? Subscribe to Well+Good and we’ll send you our newsletter of top stories and a free copy of “10 Creative Quinoa Recipes from Healthy Celebrity Chefs!”

The apple cider vinegar stocked in your cupboard may play a starring role in your salad dressing, but it’s also enjoyed a long run as the basis of many health remedies. (The organic, unfiltered kind, that is.)

Apple cider vinegar’s strong suit is balancing pH levels, and creating a healthy, alkalized state when you eat or drink it—or use it a skin-care product. (You want to be more alkaline than acidic for a trillion health reasons, some experts say.)

It’s also pretty renowned in natural-health circles for curbing digestive issues, spiking weight loss, promoting great skin, and banishing a handful of other pesky afflictions.

And in the medical community, small research studies point to its promise for lessening symptoms of diabetes and obesity.

Wonder how it can help you? Here are ten reasons to add apple cider vinegar to more than just your salad dressing:

1. Digestion and food poisoning. Vinegar contains malic acid, which can help common digestive issues like constipation or acid-reflux. And because it’s a trifecta of antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties, a tablespoon or two in a 8 oz. glass of water may even help with a case of food poisoning.

2. Sleep issues. Many people swear by a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a cup of hot water with honey before bed, citing its sleep-inducing powers and that it promotes a more restful night’s sleep.

lemon and apple cider vinegar

For a balancing elixir, dilute a couple teaspoons of organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar in tepid or warm water with lemon in the morning.

3. Diabetes. A 2007 study published in Diabetes Care, showed potential for apple cider vinegar as a tool to lower glucose levels. (Note that it can interfere with diabetes medication, if you are taking them. )

4. High cholesterol. Its high levels of pectin can help regulate blood pressure and lower cholesterol, showed a 2006 study done with rats.

5. Bones and teeth. Apple cider vinegar has the capacity to extract calcium from fruits, vegetables, and meat in your diet, thereby helping strengthen your bones and teeth.

6. Joint pain. Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties may help provide pain-relief to neck, back, and shoulder joint pain (including arthritis).

7. Detox. High levels of potassium in the vinegar work like a clarifying tonic on the body, helping clear up sinus infections, candida, sore throats, and allergies. Some New Yorkers do a cleanse with it (and clean food) instead of juice.

8. Weight loss. It won’t replace eating well and exercise, but apple cider vinegar may help you feel full longer, and some natural-health experts say its enzymes and soluble fiber can aid in fat metabolism. A study done on mice showed that acetic acid (main component of the vinegar) slowed fat accumulation.

9. Summertime bug bites. It’s an antiseptic that can soothe bug bites and skin allergies almost instantly.

10. Beauty blemishes, burns, and bad hair days. When used as a toner, it helps curbs acne and blemishes with its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. Add it to a bath for sunburn relief (about a cup) and rinse your hair with it for instant shine (a few tablespoons). —Jennifer Kass

1. August 10th, 2012 at 10:51 am

any recommended brands to buy?

2. August 10th, 2012 at 11:22 am

I haven’t used Apple Cider Vinegar for all these purposes, but I do drink 1 tb. Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar with sparkling water and a touch of molasses every morning. @Megan I like Braggs, I’ve experimented with other brands, some are more apple-y some are more vinegar-y so it just depends what your prefer. Just go for something raw, organic, unpasteurized and unfiltered.

3. August 10th, 2012 at 1:58 pm

And don’t forget to investigate the good things ACV can do for pets…horses have enjoyed it for decades!

4. August 10th, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Apple cider vinegar is great! To consume it you can make a great salad dressing, or raw sour cream and in a glass of water with a drop of stevia and mint is beautiful especially in summer.

5. August 11th, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Hi Megan! Braggs is great, Eden Foods, lots to pick from that will do the job; as mentioned in the story, just be sure to use the organic unfiltered ACV. Enjoy and report back!

6. August 19th, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I have struggled with flakey facial skin forever and I’ve tried many combinations of oils topically and nothing worked. I’ve been using Braggs apple cider vinegar for the past 6 months cut 1:1 in a spray bottle with either distilled water and essential oils or 1:1 with any hydrosol. I use it every morning and night, during the day I add a few drops of oil over but I use it on its own right before bed. My skin had NEVER been smoother! An amazing discovery for me!!

7. September 17th, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Apple cider vinegar is the very best,in 2005 I was told I needed surgery on my back for the severe pain from neck on down my back, I refused to have the surgery and instead started deinking the vinegar mixed with honey and a little water, three times a day, after two weeks I felt complete relief, almost could not believe it, but that was 2005, and now it is 2012, and the pain has never come back and it won’t because on top of that, I am a strong prayer warrior, and my belief system is kicked up way way high, so I can say without a doubt, what have you got to lose, nothing, just take the vinegar and see how the results will take place, trust and receive!!!!! Blessings to you all!!!!!!♥

8. March 1st, 2013 at 1:50 pm

How much do you comsume? Do you drink it straight or in a liquid?

9. August 10th, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I want to try ACV for the promise of a good night’s sleep. I sure hope I can get a good snooze later…I will try it and blog about it after, thank you for sharing this information :)

10. August 11th, 2013 at 10:06 pm

The best part about apple cidar vinigar of which many sites on the topic of ACV benefits seems to over look is that it is WIC, EBT, food stamps approved, so people who are low-income status and use government assistant programs can purchase this awesome daily vitamin, mineral, super food. Plus they’re cheap… $1.50 – $4 per bottle. The huge gallon which lasts for half a year for me is just about $6. So worth it. I’ve lost my job so I can’t at times afford the one a day vitamins, ginko biloba and st johns wart(for my ADD)and cod liver oil supplements. I’ve been taking ACV and it work wonders for me. Great placement plus doesn’t leave me bankrupt. I always recommend this to my low-income status buddies. I lost some weight, increased my mental focus, depression has minimize, it saved my legs from being amputaded due to constant inflammation and retaining fluids due to little mobility,… it is an amazing food product, yet it is so cheap for what it can do for anyone. :)

11. October 24th, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Recommended brands – in the UK:

I got a 1 litre batch to test, asked for extra mother, it was great – now i’m eating my way through a 20L bag. Best value and quality you can find!

I use it to soak my feet, rinse my hair, and two tablespoons in tea at night before bed. Enjoy :)

12. December 13th, 2013 at 5:33 am

At 80 years old, I have found that raw ACV diluted in juice three
    Times a day has helped tremendously with my arthritis. The aches
    and pains in my joints have lessend. Hopefully I will get to a point
    that I hardly notice the discomfort.

13. March 6th, 2014 at 4:08 am

I have just finished making my own, it smells amazing and has formed a scoby(mother) so I can continue the process

14. June 1st, 2014 at 6:34 am

Wonderful treatment for coughing when you have a cold — 1 tablespoon of ACV (I use Braggs) in a half cup of warm water mixed w/2 tablespoons of good quality honey. Drink it all at once.

15. October 6th, 2014 at 3:20 pm

It is great getting feed back for ACV. I will let you know how I get on with it.