Facial oils that fight acne

1 / 9
Facial oils for acneIt might sound contradictory (and maybe downright scary!), but one of the best things you can do for a bout of blemishes is to slick your skin with oils. Not with pore-clogging mineral oils, but with plant-based ones that can help balance and calm your adult skin.

"Treating oil with oil balances skin," says Vered Back, an herbalist, facialist, and beauty-product formulator. "Drying it out with harsh ingredients just engages it in a battle."

Back, who's the founder of Vered Organic Botanicals, says her top seller is an acne treatment oil blend. “There are so many people with problem skin, and nobody really dared to think about making an oil for them.” But now, they are. Here are six oil blends for acne-prone skin we love...
Melisse Gelula

Vered facial oilVered Therapeutic Balancing Face Oil

This handcrafted line is all about the love of oils. They're handmade by organic-obsessed master herbologist and facialist, Vered Beck, who uses anti-inflammatory and anti-viral herbs (including rare ones like niaouli, chickweed, and speedwell) that vary with the available crops and promote deep healing.

$68, veredbotanicals.com

MV organicsMarie Veronique Organics Treatment Oil

This is a perfectly balanced acne-fighting cocktail. Argan oil controls surface sebum, borage oil fights inflammation (thanks to its gamma-linolenic acid), and tea tree oil helps banish acne-causing bacteria. Use it alone or as part of the company’s Acne Relief Kit for even clearer skin.

$80, mvorganics.com

Susan Ciminelli OilSusan Ciminelli Oil Control Formula

This word-of-mouth wonder helps clear pimples and blackheads. It contains thyme, which you want because it was found to be more effective against acne than benzoyl peroxide (the controversial main ingredient in Proactiv). And a trio of anti-bacterial extracts—lemongrass, lavender, and cajeput bark—gives it a sinus-clearing scent. This simple blend of oils is actually super active, so it's probably not a fit for super sensitive, inflamed skin.

$105, susanciminelli.com

Infiore Pur Face OilIn Fiore Pur Face Oil Concentré

Sometimes the best solution comes from old-world practices. Like this apothecary-style blend of wild-crafted oils. It's a beautiful skin-balancer powered by neroli, nature's stress-buster. On breakout-prone skin it brings down redness, eases congestion, and slows the pimple-making process to a halt. And a dash of rosehip-seed oil helps give skin back it's healthy, even glow.

$30-$60, infiore.net

Delaterre SerumDe La Terre Herb Rich Oil for Blemished Skin

The super-skilled founder of this holistic beauty line gave this “expectorant qualities that expel impurities from skin.” The ingredients doing this dirty work sound like a wholesome tea from your acupuncturist: burdock, fennel, and ginger. Together they'll also help your skin better manage the amount of oil it's pumping out. And vitamin-C-rich blackberry helps restore saucer-size pores to something more demure.

$50, delaterreskincare.com

La Bella Figura Mediterranean BlendLa Bella Figura Tesoro Mediterranean Blend

An amazing all-in-one oil that helps curb the return of your teenage acne while treating your skin like an adult. It smooths fine lines and regenerates skin cells while providing lightweight hydration. You can thank the organic argan oil and grapefruit, neroli, and fennel oils for that.

$70, labellafigurabeauty.com

1. December 21st, 2012 at 10:32 am

Excellent information — too bad most of the products listed are unaffordable.

2. December 21st, 2012 at 10:38 am

Vered’s Balancing Oil is the cream of the crop— it’s amazing how it works so well for my sensitive, dry skin and also my friend’s oily, blemish-prone skin. It’s a sophisticated blend with a lot of soul. Definitely one of the best artisan natural skin care brands out there. Very luxe.

3. December 22nd, 2012 at 1:01 pm

You actually don’t need to spend a lot of money on oils. Your kitchen olive oil, and sweet almond oil from the health food shop are amazing for skin including acne skin and it’s cheap!

4. December 22nd, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Thank you Melisse and Thank you Carrie! That means a lot to me.
    Have a beautiful and healthy New Year.

5. December 24th, 2012 at 6:12 pm

There are many ways to get rid of acne that theGet rid of acne fast general public may not be aware of.

6. December 27th, 2012 at 4:12 pm

i like phoenix risings repairing serum. its $60 but lasts forever. i use it on all of my clients

7. December 27th, 2012 at 6:14 pm

what do you do about sunblock?

8. January 7th, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Thanks for the info! Sweet almond oiln is helping me but I will check these out.

9. March 28th, 2013 at 12:45 am

OK well I’m going to try A couple of t, but these products, but like Kim said they seem to be pricey. But if one works the confidence building will be worth it! Thanks for the help.

10. March 28th, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I’ve heard positive reviews about most of the products – especially Vered – but I’m with Candy about this. Most of what these products claim to do can be achieved with a bit of home chemistry all by yourself.

Most of us know about most of these, only we are too lazy to do it. For example, Egg whites, apple cider vinegar, Lemon juice, even baking soda are but a few homely things, all useful in acne cure, all easy to reach. Sure, you may have to take a step or two to get a bit more useful things like aloe vera extracts and such – but trust me, it’s worth it.

11. Pedro
    June 1st, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Many oils that are found in your kitchen pantry such as olive oil can be used on your skin and also do wonders for eyelashes as well.

12. November 19th, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I have pretty bad skin: at 30 I have to use acne medication… That aside, my skin is so sensitive that I often get huge problems with my skin starting to painfully peel off. Needless to say, I’m not very keen on face washes. I’ve tried some before, but they were so irritating and caused break outs.

The only thing my sensitive skin can use is the Made From Earth Grapefruit Glycolic Wash. First, micro-beads are big, so even if you scrub a lot, they won’t scratch you. Second, I did not notice any break outs after using this product every other day for a month now and my skin looks much more radiant and feels really smooth.
    I’m one of those people who really need to use sensitive skin products, but I’ trying to move away from Clinique to more natural/organic like Made From Earth.

13. June 9th, 2014 at 10:58 pm

I use Alpha Mane’s acne oil and I’ve seen some progress. Granted its just been a week. Its just been the most effective treatment Ive tried so far.

14. June 11th, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I find that Pumpkin Seed Oil and Neroli and Rose Oils are pretty kind to my Acne prone, Sensitive skin. I have found that using things like simple Honey or Washing grains to cleanse my skin have helped curb breakouts. I make my own masks for use a couple times per week (Turmeric and soon I will be trying Rhassoul Clay) and I use hydrosols as toners.
    I DIY or buy from artisan vendors who sell handmade products made with organic ingredients.

15. June 30th, 2014 at 3:58 am

I am 30yrs old and this past year I have had the worst case of ingrown hairs coming out my face. When I tell you these hairs have been in little wads or one super long on like a tiny strand of silk almost. They have gotten to be atleast 3 inches long. its started like 10 or 20 little facial hairs coiled up and now its just one long one. I get them every couple weeks. I dont know how to make them stop. I’ve always had my baby hair that seem to never leave. I mean it was sexy not some hairy yucky person just ya know peach fuzz. Anyways plz if someone has a diagnose or prescription plz let me know.