How Diane von Furstenberg starts her day

Diane von Furstenburg and Jack Dorsey

Diane von Furstenburg and Jack Dorsey (Photo: VanityFair.com)

We recently had the pleasure of hearing Diane von Furstenberg (mother of the wrap dress) and Jack Dorsey (the father of Twitter) banter during a casual Q&A.

Von Furstenberg confided about how she starts her day, “I send one e-mail that doesn’t benefit me at all.” The revelation of her simple daily practice elicited actual ahh’s from the audience. (And this was at a Fast Company conference, not a spiritually infused one.)

The designer explained that the e-mail could be the introduction of an artist to a potential patron saint or something as simple, direct, and appreciated as a compliment.

We love the idea of this daily practice. While we can’t all change someone’s life with one e-mail the way Von Furstenberg can, we can all help someone’s daily happiness quotient (and our own karma) by adopting this ritual.

So ditch the to-do list when you sit down to write your first e-mail of the day, and instead think about who and how you can help. (Then proceed with your coffee and the morning onslaught of your inbox.)

Have You Read These?

1. July 11th, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Nice. DVF has been ultra-cool in every article I’ve read about her.

When I think of something nice about someone, I always try to remember to tell them…as soon as the thought comes to me. You’d be surprised how happy ppl are to hear that you thought of them in that way.

2. July 14th, 2013 at 1:09 pm

“…instead think about who and how you can help”
    I agree, what a beautiful way to start the day! Can you imagine if we pass this along to our kids? If we teach them to start the day thinking of how to do good in the world by modeling it ourselves?

3. David
    July 14th, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Nice idea to make it the first thing to do of the day. I often have something on my mind from the night before that I want to do ‘when I have time a bit later on’.

Giving a little bit of charity comes to mind – always easy to put off, I find.

4. July 14th, 2013 at 10:04 pm

What an amazing perspective on what we all need now–a little humanity in our social media experiences. Diane VF continues to keep it real.

5. July 15th, 2013 at 12:10 am

I love this idea! I always seem to approach my inbox with a cringe, but I think adopting this attitude toward email would change my relationship with my morning emails.

So lovely!

6. July 15th, 2013 at 8:56 am

Great idea!

7. July 15th, 2013 at 12:46 pm

What a beautiful way to express gratitude!

8. July 15th, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Definitely something I want to practice–thanks for the inspiring idea Diane!

9. October 28th, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Fabulous advice. Thank you for sharing!