4 juice recipes for great skin from celeb facialist Joanna Vargas

1 / 6
Opener-1You’ve probably left a facial appointment with a bag of beauty products to preserve your post-treatment glow. But after a treatment, Joanna Vargas, the New York celeb aesthetician of Michelle Williams and Naomi Watts, also likes clients to walk out with something else that whips their skin into shape: a handful of juice recipes.

Often the causes of problems like dark circles and acne are more than skin deep, says holistically-inclined Vargas, who noticed her own skin improve after swigging green juice instead of coffee. “Great skin’s a reflection of what one puts in their body and their digestion.”

So she created recipes like "Brighten Up" and "All Clear" as beauty boosters. By sipping a juice instead of a 4:00 Starbucks, clients started sending emails saying they were breaking out less, looking less puffy, and even digesting rich foods better, she says. “I noticed their skin seemed more hydrated, alive, and glowing.”

So which of Vargas’s juice recipe might be best for your beauty regimen? Check them out now... —Melisse Gelula

Photo: Coolspotters.com

Photo: J3nn.net
This juice blend with beta-carotene-rich carrots and skin-clearing apple will help you kick the snacking habit and provide a line of defense against office-cupcake cravings. “Anyone can have amazing-looking skin, if they just take the steps. You can’t eat garbage, and have amazing skin,” says Vargas.

Beat the Sweets
4 carrots
1/2 apple
Ginger to taste

Photo: Pinterest.com

Photo: Pinterest.com

This juice is great for every skin type. Detoxing parsley's great for stimulating the lymphatic symptom and reducing water retention. And spinach has vitamin F (AKA omega fatty acids linoleic acid and alpha-linoleic acid), which is great for healthy functioning, glowing skin, says Vargas. The nutrients in apples, particularly the green ones, have a handful of skin benefits, including brightening and toning.

Brighten Up

4 carrots
Handful of spinach
Handful of parsley
1/2 apple

Photo: Pinterest.com

AllClearBromelain, the enzymes in pineapple, promote good digestion and good skin. (Bromelain is even applied topically in skin-clearing masks and exfoliants.) Cucumber and apple are skin-purifiers that help boost hydration and alkalinity. They all work together to calm inflammation, which is present with acne, says Vargas.

All Clear

Few slices or chunks of pineapple
1/2 cucumber
1/2 apple

Photo: My.blackmores.com

SuperEight

This is Vargas's super-fresh answer to sodium-laced V8. "You notice such a difference in people's skin and health when they drink fresh-pressed juice. Even my clients in finance who work obscenely long hours, have rich dinners at night, and have to be at work at 6 a.m. Their skin regains its vibrance. I've threatened to call their assistants to have a juice delivered," she jokes. "Anyone has time for it."

Super Eight

1 kale leaf
1 collard leaf
Handful of parsley
1 stalk of celery
1 carrot
1/2 red pepper
1 tomato
1 broccoli floret

Photo: Pinterest.com

Have You Read These?

1. September 9th, 2013 at 12:37 pm

These sound delicious. ..even the V8 juice.

2. September 26th, 2013 at 6:02 pm

This is the best gesture I’ve ever seen/heard from someone in the Beauty industry. Today the market has become so commercialized that people just want to sell their products and make money. It is wonderful to know that there are some who really believes in inner beauty and makes sure everyone else know about it natural ways of achieving it.

3. October 24th, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I am so glad people want to help
    I have gone nuts about juice and run out of recipes all the time lol
    Its nice to come here and see what other people have researched and come up with
    I only been juicing for a 3-4 days religiously
    Already my dark circles are vanishing my skin is clearing
    My spots are drying, hair growing and softening and i don’t have bad breath!
    How amazing is Juice and i want to thank you for sharing this i will love to try it

4. December 2nd, 2013 at 8:21 am

Should I cook the broccoli first?

5. January 6th, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I started juicing as a treat to myself this new year to get healthy. Also, I don’t like to eat veggies and don’t mind drinking them. I must say, in one week, my skin looks younger, smoother and more radiant. When I scrub now, it looks like I had a facial. Amazing. The key for me is the apples, spinach and carrots. I add other fruits and veggies but these staples are amazing!!!!

6. March 27th, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Hi, how many times a day should I take juice drinks? And how long for ?

K

7. March 29th, 2014 at 6:19 am

Katie, You can have as many as you feel like each day. The more the better and you do it for as long as you want good skin and good health …for life.

8. June 4th, 2014 at 10:08 am

Plz help me for removing dark circles plzz

9. June 16th, 2014 at 2:03 pm