Why more women are getting colonics…for great skin

Why more women are getting colonics...for great skin

Yes, your bronzer rocks, as does your radiance-boosting skin-care serum. But more and more women are getting a glow from their colonics. (Photo: penseesduchoeur.tumblr.com)

Lately we’ve been hearing from more and more women that their glowing skin isn’t just about the radiance-boosting  skin-care serums they’re slathering on—it’s the result of paying attention to a rather different organ.

We’re talking about colonics (and your back door). Practitioners and devotees say that regular sessions with the hose have cleared up their acne, psoriasis, and eczema, and even a single session can produce a glow.

That’s what happened for a New York publicist we’ll call Walden White. After going to a destination spa where colonics were part of the detox cleanse program, “I noticed a healthier glow to my skin,” she recalls. “I also attributed it to the tan I got. But I trusted others when they commented on how bright my skin looked.” She’s been getting them regularly back home in New York ever since.

colonic_experts_hydrotherapists_nyc

Colonic hydrotherapist experts Tracy Piper (at top) and Arul Goldman say a skin-care boost is a bonus side effect of colonics.

Michelle Goldblum, the founder and CEO of a design and marketing agency, had a similar experience after having colonics as part of a cleanse last summer. After a few weekly sessions (along with time in the infrared sauna and the healthy diet), she says, “The results were astounding. By removing all of the toxins from my system and replacing them with essential nutrients, my skin started to glow. It was obvious. People commented and questioned what I was using on my skin. I told them the only reason why my skin looked this way was because of the detox—because of the removal of all of the shit (literally!) from my system.”

But Arul Goldman, founder of the SanaVita Center for Holistic Cleansing in Gramercy Park, says that you don’t need to do a full-on detox to get the results: “Even a person eliminating once a day can get a colonic and have that euphoria, lightness and glowing skin.” She likens the effect to a great cardio workout.

Glow like you do after SoulCycle?

Goldman’s explanation is that “Any fecal matter in the body is toxic, is a poison. It’s like a bag of trash in the summer that’s starting to ferment. That happens in the intestines, and then the toxins sink though the intestinal wall and into the bloodstream. And from there, the skin is the largest organic of elimination, so if you’re at all toxic, it’s going to show up there.” (Studies have suggested otherwise, but that’s not stopping clients.)

Tracy Piper, who directs the Piper Center for Internal Wellness in Soho, makes a similar case. “What happens in the colon is directly seen in the skin,” she says. “So when I see a person with chronic acne, to me they are pooping through their skin. That may sound harsh, but it will give people a wake up call as to pay attention to what is going in inside will show on the outside…. The skin is the organ that we see that tells us if we are internally fit, so pay attention as it can save you from longstanding issues later on.”

Both practitioners say that generally healthy clients with decent skin and good natural elimination (AKA you “go” often on your own) can see a glow after one session, but to clear up a chronic condition will take more of an investment; Piper recommends at least three sessions close together (once a week), along with—not coincidentally— an elimination diet sans dairy, processed food, sugar, and gluten.

And just as the skin is the first place trouble can appear, says Piper, it’s an early place for improvement: “When you detox, the first place you see the results is in the skin. The color changes, there is a glow, a vibrancy that emits from the skin. It motivates you to take better care of yourself.” And maybe hit the hose in addition to the beauty counter.  —Ann Abel

Have you ever gotten your glow on from a colonic? Or would you? Tell us in the Comments, below!

1. February 24th, 2014 at 10:28 am

Colonics are NOT a detox method! The colon, rectum, and anus detox themselves by default–by dispelling waste. Using colonics actually push waste back into the intestinal tract! Additionally, the tissues that make up the intestines and rectum are very thin and fragile, and instruments used for colonics can damage the tissue and cause way more harm.

If you think that waste in your colon is causing issues, eat a better diet with more fiber, drink more water, and get things moving that way.

2. February 24th, 2014 at 12:23 pm

What’s in your digestive system can certainly affect how your skin looks, though my suggestion is to be mindful of your diet and what you’re putting into your body to begin with. I see a glow when I eliminate dairy and too much sugar, and drink lots of lemon water. Be careful with colonics – as the poster above me suggested, the tissues in that area are very delicate, and damage can be long-term and make life miserable. :-/

3. February 24th, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Thanks, Anna! I completely agree with you. I can’t believe another beauty claim pointied towards a technology shortcut rather than actually implementing a healthy diet and detoxing naturally. This article needs colonic irrigation.

4. February 24th, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Princess Di used to get colonic irrigations way back in the day…

5. February 24th, 2014 at 5:56 pm

I have been using gravity colonics for years and I´m a certified colon hydrotherapist at dtxnyc.com and I initially came to colonics specifically for my skin. I was suffering from severe acne and along with a healthy diet and regular cleansing, my acne went away completely. I absolutely swear by them and have found them to be safe and very effective.

6. February 24th, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Colon Hydro Therapy is not a Colonic, it is a clean, closed system used with a GENTLE filtered water system and administered by a certified professional. Colonics and enemas are open systems that people can administer themselves at home. The ideas behind colon irrigation goes back to the Egyptians and only became less popular during the 60s when hospitals began to prescribe laxatives (that are damaging to the colon when used too frequently) because they were quicker than having to give a patient an enema for constipation and before colonoscopies.
    If we all ate a wonderful array of organic wholesome foods for the majority our lives, then yes, most people would not benefit as much from colon irrigation but since a majority of people do not or have not been eating this idea way for very long then it’s actually extremely beneficial. The organs do cleanse the body on their own but if you overload them time and time again with toxic shit then something will have to give. White breads, sugars, chemicals don’t digest well and can harden around the lining of your colon and decrease peristalsis slowing down the transit time of your poo which causes constipation.
    Personally, It has helped me with back pain, hormonal issues, candida, and acne.
    Don’t knock it till you try it. A session should last about 45 minutes with a certified Colon Hydro Therapist.

7. February 25th, 2014 at 1:07 am

I do not know about colonics, but the bias in this is ridiculous. Colonics is not a cure-all, nothing is, not for everyone anyway. I find the chronic acne statement not only harsh but incorrect. You cannot look at a person and know what their body is doing. I have chronic acne because of stress. During the summer, when I’m not stressing because of college, my skin is clear. And I poop way more than average because I eat a healthy vegan diet. Assuming such things and proclaiming it a cure-all is unscientific. We are all different.

8. February 26th, 2014 at 11:59 am

Spoonfull of flaxseed on your breakfast makes a BIG difference! That’s all you need :)

9. February 26th, 2014 at 3:55 pm

@Sazzu:
    “I was suffering from severe acne and along with a healthy diet and regular cleansing, my acne went away completely.”

I can almost guarantee that if you stopped getting colon cleansing but kept up the healthy dietary changes, the acne would stay away. Adult acne isn’t the result of “toxins” in our colon, it’s often the result of lifestyle and dietary issues. Many people find (and there’s new research to back this up!) that cutting dairy and/or refined sugars will knock adult acne out.

10. February 27th, 2014 at 12:10 pm

I do not suggest having any sort of colonic done if you experience any digestive distress. I had a colonic a few years before I was diagnosed with Crohn’s (an auto-immune gastrointestinal disease) as a desperate attempt to alleviate my symptoms. I was trying it all at the time, holistically speaking. Because my body was prone to inflammation without my knowledge, for a week after I was so bloated I looked 6 months pregnant, and could barely eat at all. That was my personal experience, but a model friend swears by it. I tend to listen to doctors cautiously, but if you have any issues with your digestion or “stomach problems” I would ask your internist or gastroenterologist first. As for the rest of the claims, it seems to be different for everyone, and could be an aid to our natural detoxification.

11. March 29th, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I’ve been a colonic therapist for 15 years and an Easthetician for about 10 years. Co-Founder of dtxnyc.com and former co-Founder of LYTnyc.com. I understand that this is still a sensitive topic for many and stirs many opinions, fears and some incorrect information about this work. Colonics are a tool to assist the body in ridding itself of build up(toxins), to put it simply. Also know that what does not evacuate the body through the elimination systems will come through the skin. Your largest organ! This DOES help the body detoxify if a person is also eating well, juicing etc. To say it does not detox the body is incorrect, but, to receive full benefits of colon hydrotherapy one should integrate good eating habits. I think what some of you are missing is the experience of watching people transform their health and vitality through this work. Until you’ve seen the sludge and gas pressure that leaves the human body you can’t really say that this is not a useful practice/tool towards beauty, health and vitality! Acne, rashes, sallow skin tone and poor skin quality are an absolute result of what’s residing in your intestinal system. Let’s see the diamond in the rough here. Each person needs to choose what’s best for themselves and let others do the same. BTW: I love Infrared Sauna for feeling good and maintaining healthy skin as well.

12. May 16th, 2014 at 1:00 am

So I did a colonic a few years ago and my skin did glow & brighten up. My eyes also brightened up. The first session the water or saline did push the contents of my intestines up, I felt the pressure – but the tech suggested to wait about 5 to 10 minutes & I should release. I felt everything come rushing out. It’s extremely relieving. I was already fasting on nuts, berries, & green juice, but corn & other unmentionables were present. Tmi. Bottom line after 1 day or night my skin was glowing, my stomach went down & foods my body was sensitive to was evident, dean & delucas awesome chilli, actually caused the runs. I’ve eaten over 100 times with no problem. My taste buds were awakened as well. Hope this helps.

13. October 6th, 2014 at 7:24 am

Sure have!! Colonics always make my skin look healthier!!! A series makes me feel so much lighter and skin literally flawless!!!! before I had one 14 years ago, i had a lil bit of acne, which colonics cleared up in 6 sessions!!! and I’ve never looked back!!! I haven’t had one in about 2 years but will go for a series this starting this week!!! am so bloated and blah!!! I told the dr i went for one and he yelled at me saying thats an exist not an entry (my problem was, I wasn’t going for months), colonics really helped) he yelled some more, told me if i eat a chicken or egg sandwich and i dont shit it out my body has absorbed it all and there’s no shit, although I was literally full of it, anyway,i didnt say anything i was 19 and he kicked me out of his office.lol